Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Book Preview: Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin & Iowa Options
William Schlafer
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:14:50 PM

While surfing around the web last night, I ran across this extensive 128 page preview of John Motoviloff's book Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin & Iowa.

Veterans of the Wisconsin and Iowa Driftless Area won't find too much here that they don't already know. But for the uninitiated, this book is a great primer on the where to go, what to use, & how to fish the Trout streams, lakes and rivers. The book even covers bigger water for warm water species, like the Madison chain of lakes, and the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.

Some of the info in the book may be a bit dated, such as phone numbers and businesses that may or may not still be around. The DNR regulations and seasons have probably changes too in the decade since the book was published. But the maps are nice and most of the stream information is sound.

If you're just starting out fishing the area, this book is a great reference.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
vmthtr in Green Bay
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:28:47 PM

I bought it when I first started Fly fishing and got the one for MI also.
Pete
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:52:25 AM

Knowing what I know now, if I had to pick one book to learn about Wisconsin fishing, this would be it. If you know the Driftless-or any of the other regions-like the back of your hand, you'll find it a little superficial. But for getting started in an area with which you're unfamiliar, it's been a big help. He gives a lot of good info about warm water fishing too; it's not just trout. And he's got enough information on the Lake Michigan tribs to get someone started on salmon and steelhead. He must've had a good time doing all the research.