Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stream restoration - Iowa Options
NE IA Drifter
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:57:06 AM

http://www.desmoinesregi...ek-back-life/100388248/

Sounds like an impressive undertaking! And they now have reproducing native brook trout in the stream!
Greylin
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:15:56 AM

Amazing article! Makes you wonder how many streams have "disappeared" over time.
I live in a van down by the river.
s.t.fanatic
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:47:08 PM

That is a great story!
NE IA Drifter
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:30:39 PM

Greylin wrote:
Amazing article! Makes you wonder how many streams have "disappeared" over time.

For sure! It would be an interesting project to piece together the old aerial photos they referenced and compare them to today.

The best part was reading how the valley came back to life after he did all of that work. Gives hope for other streams that have been significantly altered.
mbchilton
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:40:44 PM

The property is for sale if anyone has an extra $1.75M laying around.
William Schlafer
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:32:10 PM

Indeed. Great story. Shows what one man can do with the right motivation.

I built a home back in the 90s in Waukesha county (SE Wisconsin) in North Prairie, along the edge of the Kettle Moraine. It was situated in a sub-division that used to be a large farm. They had also dredged drainage ditches at some point to divert a creek that used to run through the property. The old plat maps showed a stream that is no longer there. Every time my sump pump ran, I wondered if we had built right over that old creek bed.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NE IA Drifter
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:51:27 PM

mbchilton wrote:
The property is for sale if anyone has an extra $1.75M laying around.

Do you have a link?! Would love to dream.
hek
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:57:07 PM

The Wisconsin DNR has been doing some similar work on parts of Scuppernong Creek in southeast Wisconsin.

I believe they used old photographs to find the original stream bed, and have moved the stream from ditches back to its original meandering path.

Work on the project was done under the leadership of DNR by volunteers from Gary Borger TU out of northern Illinois, and the Southeast Wisconsin Chapter.

s.t.fanatic
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:40:29 PM

hek wrote:
The Wisconsin DNR has been doing some similar work on parts of Scuppernong Creek in southeast Wisconsin.

I believe they used old photographs to find the original stream bed, and have moved the stream from ditches back to its original meandering path.

Work on the project was done under the leadership of DNR by volunteers from Gary Borger TU out of northern Illinois, and the Southeast Wisconsin Chapter.

The old photographs should have been used when MN DNR moved the Main Branch WW out of its channelized location. It is better now but i wish they would have drained the Dore Pools and put the river in it's original bed. Those pools are nothing more than frog and rough fish ponds. Not to mention the fact that they have plenty of springs in them with cool water that warms because of the dykes and culverts. That system is a pathetic excuse for a trout fishery. Waterfoul have more that enough habitat in the Weaver Bottoms, they dont need the Dore Pools. They dykes and culverts should also be removed from the Beaver Creek system. If I had more time on my hands I'd like to monitor the temps of the restricted water that is flowing into the "trout" water. I'm sure its way to warm in the summer and cools the system down in the winter. It is situations like this and the removal of dams that TU should be concentrating their efforts on. Instead they "restore" habitat on streams that have a viable trout population already. Sad