Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 3:10:44 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So I'm headed to Longmont, CO this week for work. Originally scheduled to be on site at a client's facility Tues-Friday, fly back Saturday. Got word that schedule has changed, only need to work Tues-Thurs. Changing flights was going to cost my employer more than an extra night in the hotel, so they said just take Friday as comp time and stay over

Yeah. Immediately started packing up my gear, cuz I'm going fishing. Woot

Longmont is mid-way between Denver and Boulder. Anyone ever fished the area?
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NE IA Drifter  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 4:51:04 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Not much in the immediate area of Longmont except for some reservoirs but you are close to the big Thompson below Estes park and the cache la poudre near Fort Collins and s boulder creek. Front range anglers in boulder is a good shop and I like stopping at laughing grizzly in Lyons on my way to rmnp. Not sure rmnp would be a good bet right now but the Thompson in moraine park might be okay right now. We just had a slew of snow dumped on the front range but that is already pretty much gone which should mean the rivers will be in great shape for you. If I was you I would look at the eagle above wolcott, the Arkansas in the big horn canyon, or the frying pan. You're also not far from the north platte in Wyoming. Finally the Yampa tail waters might be worth a shot but have never fished it this time of year...

OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 6:34:05 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

NE IA Drifter wrote:
Not much in the immediate area of Longmont except for some reservoirs but you are close to the big Thompson below Estes park and the cache la poudre near Fort Collins and s boulder creek. Front range anglers in boulder is a good shop and I like stopping at laughing grizzly in Lyons on my way to rmnp. Not sure rmnp would be a good bet right now but the Thompson in moraine park might be okay right now. We just had a slew of snow dumped on the front range but that is already pretty much gone which should mean the rivers will be in great shape for you. If I was you I would look at the eagle above wolcott, the Arkansas in the big horn canyon, or the frying pan. You're also not far from the north platte in Wyoming. Finally the Yampa tail waters might be worth a shot but have never fished it this time of year...

Thanks for the info. I think I'm actually going to hire a guide from Front Ranger Anglers. Brad Befus, who used to be one of the main guys there and has now gone on to bigger and better things in the fly fishing industry (think he works for Ross reels now?) is actually one of my old guide clients from my Alaska days, so I kind of know FRA a bit. Stopped in there a time or two over the years. Figure if I'm going to go, may as well do it right. Have hired one guide (saltwater in FL) in my life, usually been on the other end of that deal, so it'll be interesting.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NE IA Drifter  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 11:20:02 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Given that your travel and lodging costs are covered by work and limited time I think a guide will be worth it... be sure to post your results when you get back!
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 7:17:02 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Had a good trip out west. Ended up fishing with a guide for a half day then fishing on my own another half day. Fished the Big Thompson below Estes Park. Neat stream, but tough because the water's really, really low. 85 degrees and not a cloud in the sky didn't help much either. But, caught some fish, mostly tight line nymphing, although got a few on dry/dropper.

What surprised me was the average fish size. First fish I caught with the guide was maybe a 12" brown, and he said it was a 'nice one' for the Big T. Biggest he'd seen out of there was a 17 incher. Kind of makes you appreciate the quality of our fishery that's for sure. Although the views were spectacular and it was fun to see some new water. Will definitely be bringing the gear again next time I'm headed there for work.
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NE IA Drifter  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 4:33:55 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Awesome! Have not fished the big t below Estes but kinda surprised he said that's average.... no basis for that assumption though... so much water to cover out here. I would suggest a bigger river next time if you want bigger fish. Rmnp or Indian peaks are great places for some small stream fish in beautiful areas...
OTC_MN  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 7:17:17 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

NE IA Drifter wrote:
Awesome! Have not fished the big t below Estes but kinda surprised he said that's average.... no basis for that assumption though... so much water to cover out here. I would suggest a bigger river next time if you want bigger fish. Rmnp or Indian peaks are great places for some small stream fish in beautiful areas...

Yeah "Big" Thompson is kind of a misnomer, although it was fishing smaller than usual due to the low water. I may be back out there this summer, and if so I'm planning on heading to the RMNP to fish greenback cutthroat in some of the lakes up there.
- Roderick Haig-Brown