Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hay Creek Options
NonResidentAngler
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2017 5:50:57 PM

I'm going to a graduation party in the southeast metro on Saturday, so I was thinking, instead of going to my normal spots in Wisconsin, that I would try Hay Creek instead. I tried to gather some info on the creek, the latest data I could find was from 2009, where the DNR found about 5,000 trout per mile. Has there been any more recent electro shocking done? It appears to be similar to the Kinnickinnic River, in the sense there's high numbers, but small fish. Looks like there's quite a few access points as well. Anyone fish here at all this year?
OTC_MN
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2017 6:24:02 PM

I haven't fished it since February or so, but generally speaking I'd say you're correct in describing it. There are some quality fish in there for sure, but they don't come easy. Hay Creek gets a lot of pressure and it's clear, slick water so they're pretty wise and pretty spooky, especially if it's bright and sunny out. Still, it's a fun challenge and a stream I do enjoy fishing.

snbrd4evr
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2017 6:36:59 PM

I was down there the other day. It's a great creek to just catch fish. I haven't caught any monsters down there and I catch a lot of dinks, but you catch fish. Unless some foreign guy comes walking downstream (literally in the stream) to say hi as you're fishing ThumbDown

But it is a popular stream as well, so be ready for anyone or anything to jump in front of you while you're fishing.
NonResidentAngler
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 04, 2017 4:02:28 AM

Made it down there this morning. Was a nice little stream! Little different than what I'm used to over in Wisconsin, so I had to alter my techniques slightly. Caught 12 brown trout, with several inside the slot. I must have lost at least as many, and had countless fish take swipes at my spinners. Will definitely come back here.
JGF
#5 Posted : Monday, June 05, 2017 6:43:39 PM

NonResidentAngler wrote:
Made it down there this morning. Was a nice little stream! Little different than what I'm used to over in Wisconsin, so I had to alter my techniques slightly. Caught 12 brown trout, with several inside the slot. I must have lost at least as many, and had countless fish take swipes at my spinners. Will definitely come back here.

Not having fished MN, yet(!), out of curiosity - how was the stream different than the WI Driftless streams?
NonResidentAngler
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 06, 2017 5:53:47 PM

There was a lot more weeds. I would have to cast upstream, and reel in with the current to keep my spinner in the narrow (weedless) main channel, for trout to come out and swipe it. Reeling with the current was also why I missed lots of fish. The shoreline habitat was different as well...hay creek was mostly tall prairie grass, which was a lot harder to walk through. So maybe I'll wait until the catch and release season to come back, after the grass dies down a bit.
snbrd4evr
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 06, 2017 7:22:29 PM

Here's the winter there for ya...

My buddy and I had a video competition using the same footage and I went for the "default" fly fishing video because it was kind of funny (we're not the typical fly fishing crew)

http://youtu.be/ZGXBwvTnZIE