Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:52:46 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Gurth wrote:
I feel the same when I fish spots where there are only heritage brookies.

I don't remember much about the Bluegills other than they were dark - almost a charcoal color.

In looking at the most recent sat image, the pool we fished is now peated over, so sadly, the bluegills are likely no more unless they became "cave" dwellers. Sad

Oh well... circle of life and all that and time marches on. Someday, another ice age will happen and clear the canvass once again.

There's a number of native brookie ponds that have been hydraulically dredged in northern Wisconsin. Dredging essentially has made them as they were thousands of years ago. A number of them that were dredged in the 60's and 70's are now absolutely loaded with 100% pure native brook trout. It's also interesting to note that I talked with a biologist who's currently doing a study on spring pond trout in Wisconsin and trying to confirm whether their DNA is pure to the original Wisconsin strain. He said a number of the ponds have brookies with a mix of Wisconsin DNA and Southern Appalachian DNA, due to Wisconsin brooks moving as far south as Northern Georgia during the last Ice Age, and then moving back to Wisconsin as the waters receded and settling in ponds and streams here. Kind of cool to think some of our brookies have a hint of southern DNA in them.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:48:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:12:44 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Guillermo wrote:
It's also interesting to note that I talked with a biologist who's currently doing a study on spring pond trout in Wisconsin and trying to confirm whether their DNA is pure to the original Wisconsin strain. He said a number of the ponds have brookies with a mix of Wisconsin DNA and Southern Appalachian DNA, due to Wisconsin brooks moving as far south as Northern Georgia during the last Ice Age, and then moving back to Wisconsin as the waters receded and settling in ponds and streams here. Kind of cool to think some of our brookies have a hint of southern DNA in them.

Cue the banjo music and a nervous Ned Beatty. Laugh

Seriously though, that's the sort of stuff I find so interesting about geological time and the coming and going of species. Crazy to try and wrap your head around.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Skimmer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:26:19 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hate to say it but not much happening in those ponds... I have shot a few grouse back there on the banks though. Silty slimy mess