Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:49:15 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

One leg of our recent family vacation out west was to see family in Provo, UT. My brother Carter is the one who got me started fly fishing on the North Platte River in southern Wyoming. My first fly-caught fish was a beautiful 13 inch rainbow taken on a tinsel streamer back in 2004.

The Provo River flows through the Wasatch Mountains and is divided into three sections -- Lower, Middle, and Upper. Very creative names, right? There are reservoirs on the river that define these sections. We started on the lower section and hiked in along the railroad tracks...

My son and brother walking to the river
UserPostedImage

The river was higher than normal, but not muddy. The biggest challenge was wading across and not getting knocked over. I was the only one of the three of us to not take a spill, but I was also the only one to not catch a fish on this day.

Big piece of water compared to the Driftless.
UserPostedImage

The water looked great on the lower section, but no fish were caught so we moved on to a quaint little sandwich shop (a gas station Subway) for lunch and then back to the water near the town of Midway. Within 10 minutes Gavin caught a 12" brown on a Panther Martin and lost another one. We moved on up the stream and found a very productive run where Gavin caught 4-5 fish in just 15 minutes. His lethal lure was the size 6 PM, black and yellow body, gold blade.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Carter was upstream from us and caught a couple, no-lining/high-sticking a nymph. He had no photos as his phone took a bath when he fell.

For the day, Gavin had 7 fish, Carter had 2, and I didn't fall in the water.

On a different topic, Utah is a very interesting state in which to try to buy a beer/drink. When we stopped for lunch, I popped into a convenience store to try and find a good local beer to put in my fishing pack. Everything at the c-store was only 4%, and I couldn't find the good stuff that I had the night before at my brother-in-law's house (Coincidentally, my wife also has a brother who lives in Provo). My brother is Mormon, doesn't drink, so he was absolutely no help in my "good beer" quest. I looked on the Google and found out that all the liquor stores are run by the state, but there was one just down the road in Heber City. The liquor store looked like a bank and was tucked away (hidden?) behind a couple hotels on the edge of town. My Mormon brother is quite the funny guy and was chanting "sinner" as I walked from his truck to the door of the liquor store. It made me laugh, but I think it made a couple of the other patrons entering the store nervous. When I got inside, it looked totally different than any liquor store I had ever been to. It reminded me of the duty free shops you will see in international terminals of airports. They had a great selection of everything you might want, all displayed neatly on glass shelves, kind of like a liquor museum. :) I found the beer section and they had plenty of good stuff, but none of it was cold. There wasn't a cooler in the whole establishment. Plus, I only wanted 1-2 cold ones to enjoy along the stream. No such luck, so I walked out empty-handed. We went down the road to another convenience store and I purchased what my brother calls "Mormon Coors Light," a Diet Coke. The whole beer quest was interesting and humorous.

All in all, it was a great day on the water. I hadn't fished with Carter in many years and it was fun to have Gavin with us to show us how to catch fish.

Edited by user Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:50:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
mbchilton  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:07:59 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

If I'm not mistaken, their legislature just passed some new laws that will make it easier to get a beer. Can't remember specifics. No coolers though. That's crazy.
WI-fly  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 1:21:05 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

It is quite different than my experience living here in WI for 15 years. I know their laws are very socially conservative and influenced by the LDS church. Nothing wrong with that, just a lot different than what I am used to. The Tavern League here in WI has a big impact on many regulations regarding alcohol.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:58:29 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I remember back in '94 the Wisconsin basketball team went to Utah for an NCAA tournament game. As usual the Badger fans came in droves, but were stunned to find that they couldn't buy a beer anywhere. There were some crazy stories about fans driving for hours trying to find an open liquor store, but to no avail.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos