Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WiScottBrook  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:50:21 AM(UTC)
WiScottBrook

Most main brands I'm seeing are 80$ for a bucket with cones(ripoff).Im leaning towards ghetto rigging my own atm. I basically just need to keep my line away from the trolling motor while lake fishing.

Any brand or style suggestions welcome. Or tips on what to use to make it yourself.
Sponsor
NDFlatlander  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:10:48 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Look for a collapsible laundry hamper (the round kind) at wally world. Cut a piece of scrap wood or carpet to fit in the bottom. (this will keep it from blowing away or out of your boat)
You can then attach some sort of "fingers" to the bottom insert to keep your line from knotting up. I have used heavy duty zip tie pieces in the past.

This works well in boats and you can collapse and tuck it out of the way when not in use. Also it isn't attached to your body, giving you much better free range of motion and no feeling restricted like the ones you wear around your waist.
draik11  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:13:21 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
This make shift basket works well for me. It's a foot stool I found off amazon. I have to give credit to Grooty1515, he is the one who came up with this idea (which I think he saw from a guy on Kanalgratisdotse's "Fly vs Jerk" series on youtube).

https://www.amazon.com/I...keywords=ikea+foot+stool

The nice thing about this foot stool is that the back end is curved to fit your leg. Grooty1515 and I drilled holes into the bottom and used zip ties like NDFlatlander was describing as the "fingers."

These straps seem to work for me, but I think something better could be found.

https://www.walmart.com/...p-Bungee-2-Pack/24087314

The total cost is less than $30 bucks when it's all said and done.
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:48:17 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and the guys who fly fish in the salt for sea run cutthroat use stripping baskets all the time. None of them buy them ready-made; they do something similar to Draik11 suggested. Small plastic baskets that you can find in a dollar store, then drill holes in the bottom and put some sort of plastic cones or flexible thingees (not sure what they use). Find one of the PNW FF sites and search, you'll see plenty of good ideas.

Here is a good thread about making one yourself. Mods, if it's not cool to refer to another FF site, let me know and I'll be happy to delete:
DIY Stripping Basket

And Another
More on DIY stripping baskets

Edited by user Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:56:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
DanE  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:43:41 AM(UTC)
DanE

NDFlatlander wrote:
Look for a collapsible laundry hamper (the round kind) at wally world. Cut a piece of scrap wood or carpet to fit in the bottom. (this will keep it from blowing away or out of your boat)
You can then attach some sort of "fingers" to the bottom insert to keep your line from knotting up. I have used heavy duty zip tie pieces in the past.

This works well in boats and you can collapse and tuck it out of the way when not in use. Also it isn't attached to your body, giving you much better free range of motion and no feeling restricted like the ones you wear around your waist.

I did something similar and even take it to Canada. I started with the hamper, took a piece of clear plastic hose, cut it so it just fits inside the bottom perfect, and filled it with lead egg sinkers that I made for weight to hold it down. I have not done anything for the fingers, but knotting has been only a random minor inconvenience.ThumpUp
WiScottBrook  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2017 1:20:18 PM(UTC)
WiScottBrook

Thank for all the advice guys. Went with the kids stool route, ol target had a pink princess one that fit my waist. Not perfect but I believe it'll work. Cost me about 10$ in total.

UserPostedImage
skippie  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 4:47:09 PM(UTC)
skippie

United States

I use my Fishpond nomad mid length net, shove handle in my wading belt and position hoop in front of me. double duty