Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cschub13  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:19:06 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

I just bought some Airflo SuperDRI warmwater line this spring. My first time using it I noticed way down from the front of the line there was a 6 inch or so section where the coating and core was separated...almost like the core was pulled out of the coating. I called the shop where I bought it and they replaced it no questions asked. I've used the new line several times now with no issues, but yesterday I noticed the same thing happening again.

Does anyone have experience with this and what could be going on?
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:44:45 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I had the same issue with an Airflo WF floating line. The outer jacket/coating would pull away from the core when I tied on a leader using a nail knot. I eventually ended up nicking the line in the middle when I stepped on it, so I tossed it out and went back to the cheap Cortland 333. The streams I fish are usually pretty small so I don't need a high performance line.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
AKinMN  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:57:37 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've run into a similar issue with two different super dri elite lines. A buddy had the same issue. I'm going back to SA and Rio lines. I originally bought Air-Flo because the poly coating was supposed to be so much stronger/dirt resitant than other lines. $85 is a lot for a junk line.

Edited by user Monday, July 31, 2017 11:59:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cschub13  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:10:04 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Damn. I'll have to try and convince the shop or the company to replace it. Would expect a lot better quality for the price.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:49:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I think in my case the line failed because I cut off the loop at the end so I could tie leader directly on. It may be that these lines aren't formulated for that. The loop is easier, but it creates a big lump in the line that doesn't pass easily through the tip.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
cschub13  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:28:29 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

William Schlafer wrote:
I think in my case the line failed because I cut off the loop at the end so I could tie leader directly on. It may be that these lines aren't formulated for that. The loop is easier, but it creates a big lump in the line that doesn't pass easily through the tip.

-Bill

I have heard of this issue happening. The section where mine has separated is after the head and just after where it begins to taper. Same place as last time.
jfinn  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 8:23:13 AM(UTC)
jfinn

cschub13 wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

I have heard of this issue happening. The section where mine has separated is after the head and just after where it begins to taper. Same place as last time.

I've used this line for 3 seasons without issue, on my 3wt, if you got it at the fly fishers they should just replace it for you.