Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 3:30:51 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I haven't posted up a report for a while so here it goes. Our streams in SE MN have been in great condition for the last 4-5 days. We've had good wet n dry cycles this summer thus far and when streams begin to clear the fishing has been awesome. On Saturday a friend and I took the Yaks to a bigger waterway and went after the numerous smaller trout that call the river home. I had great luck early on and later in the afternoon fishing this fly.
UserPostedImage
The river we hit was full of water and appeared to warm throughout the day. We didn't take stream temps though. Most fish came on the above fly fished down and across, skittered an inch under the surface. I spotted at least three types of mayflies and two types of caddis. Craneflies and beetles also flew around. Fish were stacked in little pockets throughout longer riffles. We also took a good number of fish on nymphs out of faster runs and long, slick pools. Browns and rainbows all day.

Check out a full report with pics HERE!

On Sunday I fished with a co-worker. He's a dirty spin fisherman, and a damn good one! He fished a smaller rapala and landed around 30 fish. I landed around 2 dozen. His average sized fish was larger than mine but I prevailed with the big fish of the day. This stream was in great condition with lots of water and a great stain. We found most fish stacked in riffles. The largest ones came tucked tight to larger rocks at the very beginning of runs. I hoped to find more fish rising on this day but we only spotted two. Most trout came on nymphs for me.

Check out a full report with pics HERE!

Edited by user Tuesday, August 1, 2017 3:31:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:20:38 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Great reports.

Most Trout are caught with streamers or some other form of sub-surface pattern. I hold in high admiration anyone who can constantly catch Trout with dry flies. I like the look of that one. Is that a Adams variant?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:46:27 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
That's a good looking fly. Great write-ups and photos too.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
MN Mountain Man  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:23:10 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Hi Bill, I don't know if it's an adams variant. I saw the pattern online and tweaked it a little for the streams that I fish. There's something about that quill body. When I've spotted risers this summer this fly has elicited a strike more often than not.

Thanks Wi-Fly!