Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tough fishing or am I just that bad at fly fishing Options
MilRob
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:03:22 AM

I have gotten back into fly fishing after a long hiatus and I was never good at it before. Went to the Rush river today and fished from 6:30 until about 2. Got 7 fish and maybe missed a couple. No real hatches going on and only saw a couple of hoppers. Is the Rush tough this time of year or am I as bad at fly fishing as I think I am.
shebs
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 5:53:21 AM

MilRob wrote:
I have gotten back into fly fishing after a long hiatus and I was never good at it before. Went to the Rush river today and fished from 6:30 until about 2. Got 7 fish and maybe missed a couple. No real hatches going on and only saw a couple of hoppers. Is the Rush tough this time of year or am I as bad at fly fishing as I think I am.

The rush is always tough, especially in the areas that get the most pressure. You also have the misfortune of being just in time for the trico hatch. It's usually at its peak about 730-8 AM....tiny tiny little bugs, and it's damned near impossible to get the trout to hit anything during or after the spinner fall. I haven't been out to confirm if it's happening yet, but it should be going right about now.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Guillermo
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 5:58:42 AM

MilRob wrote:

7 fish ain't a bad day. I would have killed for that when I was just starting out. Eventually a handful turns into 10 or 12, then 15, then 20 or 25 , and so on. Fishing less pressured water will also speed up the learning curve in my experience.
MilRob
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 1:23:31 PM

Thanks for the information. The tricos were hatching. I think I only caught one fish after the hatch. Being a newbie to a new river I am sure I am fishing the more pressured areas. I will have to try and find some water less traveled or try a different river. Not complaining at all about the fish I caught it is just frustrating that I didnt catch anything past 9:30 or so but the trico hatch explains that.

I picked up my fly rod this year since a friend was going and got instantly hooked back into it and can't get enough of it. Thanks for the replies.

Any other rivers you might suggest?
William Schlafer
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 2:21:20 PM

Most days, seven Trout is about average. Summer can be a tricky time to fish. Water and air temps, water levels and the sun can have a big influence on Trout activity. Generally the summer pattern is to fish early before the heat and sun come on, and then fish the evenings when hatch activity is likely to be more prevalent. Mid day can be good hopper fishing provided there's enough wind to push enough bugs into the water to get the Trout looking up. A bit of cloud cover can help stir up the bite too.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos