Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 6:14:10 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hit a couple of Iowa and Grant county (Wisconsin) streams today. I slept in so I didn't arrive until nearly 10AM. But right off the bat the Trout were happily eating my hopper patterns. Ended up with one of my better days ever numbers-wise, over 50 Trout caught. About an even split between Brookies and Browns.

And no, I didn't bring the spin rod today. Saving that for another time.

Some of the nicer Brookies.
UserPostedImage

And a few nice Browns.
UserPostedImage

And lots of atypical 10" Browns and 8" Brookies caught. Best fish of the day was this dandy 15" Brown bruiser.
UserPostedImage

#6 - #10 size hoppers with pink, brown green and yellow bellies were all effective today. Here's a few the Trout managed to chew up. Will have to tie up some more for next time.
UserPostedImage

Such an idyllic little stream. I love fishing here.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, August 6, 2017 7:53:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: edited text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MN Mountain Man  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 6:46:13 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Looks like an awesome day, and on top! We got some flooding a while back but we didn't get hit nearly as hard as they did in SW WI.
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 7:07:04 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

MN Mountain Man wrote:
Looks like an awesome day, and on top! We got some flooding a while back but we didn't get hit nearly as hard as they did in SW WI.

Thanks! It was.

There was lots of evidence of flooding everywhere I looked. A few photos here. Back in 2012 that area really got socked hard and it damaged several of my favorite Trout streams. For the most part though, this flood seemed to have done more good than bad - at least from a fisherman's viewpoint. I'm sure the people that have to live there feel differently. It's shocking how much water can move through those steep valleys.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
JGF  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 7:16:15 PM(UTC)
JGF

Nice!

Were you seeing many hoppers along the banks? Since the floods, I've seen very few so I haven't fished them.

I did do pretty well the last couple of days on beetles and hippie stompers though. Fish some rather huge pink thing today that looks like nothing but a number of fish smacked it. More hit the nymph trailer however.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 7:39:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

JGF wrote:
Nice!

Were you seeing many hoppers along the banks? Since the floods, I've seen very few so I haven't fished them.

I did do pretty well the last couple of days on beetles and hippie stompers though. Fish some rather huge pink thing today that looks like nothing but a number of fish smacked it. More hit the nymph trailer however.

With all the grass mowed down from the flood, there weren't that many hoppers to be found along the banks. But I saw a few. But the Trout didn't seem to be reluctant, they hit everything I threw at them. Hoppers seem to work best when there's some sun on the water and a bit of wind to knock a few real ones into the current. When the clouds move in, or if it's rainy, beetles and ant patterns are the ticket, especially around trees.

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, August 5, 2017 7:39:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Coops9309  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 9:53:16 AM(UTC)
Coops9309

50 fish! Looks like a great day Bill. That stream looks to be in great shape - that much grass poking into the water has got to keep a steady stream of terrestrials into the water and keep the fish looking up.
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 10:17:54 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Coops9309 wrote:
50 fish! Looks like a great day Bill. That stream looks to be in great shape

Thanks!

All the streams I looked at on Saturday really were in good shape for this time of year. The water levels were strong and running with just a slight stain. Lots of effects from the last flood were evident, but nothing real damaging in the streams. A lot of silt was washed away, which opened up more fishable water.

-Bill

Gurth  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 1:50:11 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:

Why in the world would you when you can have that day with hoppers?

Nice fish btw...
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
rschmidt  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 5:13:55 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
No hoppers here in Western Wi yet. Too wet I think. Maybe still to come. R
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 7:41:40 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Gurth wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

Why in the world would you when you can have that day with hoppers?

Nice fish btw...

Indeed!

Of the two streams I fished, one would've been nearly impossible to spin fish, the other had bigger water, but would've had to pass up some excellent spots for hoppers with the fly rod. And I really wanted to get in some Hopper action - which is my favorite way to Trout fish.

I've gotten real good at a low side arm flip cast with the fly rod that allows me to float a hopper or dry fly just above the water and up and under overhanging trees and brush. This is important this time of year, as you can almost always find Trout hiding in those shady spots. Getting the fly in front of them is the key. You just need to remember not to raise the fly rod up into the tree branches while fighting the fish.

-Bill