Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Crawford county report Options
Browntown
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:11:28 PM

Fished a stream last friday that I have had decent luck with in the past...got out early only to find the stream in marginal shape due to the ton of rain we had...so decided to go check out a few other streams north and south of me and they were even in worst shape.. so went back to stream I started on and decided to fish was upper stretches to start...first cast in first hole upstream of bridge access, resulted in a nice 15" brownie to the net...continued a bit upstream catching a few more nice browns and a few brookies(badly suffering from gill lice)... went back to middle section where I first started in the am and the water was still pretty stained but I figured if the upper tea he's were crystal clear the eventually I'll find the perfect stain to fish...well took about a mile of stream before I actually found water clear enough to be productive and it immediately played off...went to another nearby tiny stream to do a little scouting on my way out and was rewarded with the big fish of the day..about 16.5"...and another 12" or so ...ran out of time for more exploring...all in all, not close to my best numbers day but ended up with 30 browns or so total and a handful of brookies...so I can't complain...also size structure and coloration of some of these fish was amazing..caught at least 6 fish over 14"
File Attachment(s):
20170804_140928.jpg (3,314kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
20170804_113938.jpg (3,754kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
20170804_074939.jpg (3,983kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
Gurth
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:32:27 PM

Sad to hear about the gill lice.

Was just thinking how I haven't seen any since early season on a Richland County stream.

Even the brookies in Dane County streams haven't had them.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
William Schlafer
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 2:31:37 PM

Sounds like you had a good day. Nice looking Browns.

I might be wrong, but I think gill lice are only found on Brook Trout, not Browns. At least I've never seen them on any Brown Trout I've caught. I've caught quite a few Brookies this year and only about half of them have gill lice. This seems lower than previous years. Some have just a couple on their gills, others are completely covered. I can't say the heavily infested ones were any less vigorous or healthy looking than the clean ones.

I've come to believe that gill lice have been around a long time and are just something that Brook Trout deal with. I haven't seen Brook Trout populations plummet due to gill lice, like some were predicting a few years back. Increasing water temps and invasive species in streams are probably a bigger threat to Brookies over the long term.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 2:50:00 PM

Gill lice are only in brookies.

I agree that the fish fought the same and looked okay.

Still hate to see parasites, especially caused by warm water (humans).

And yeah, unfortunately lots of projections by the DNR that brook trout will disappear from southern and central waters later this century due to climate change. Brown trout are projected to do just fine.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
Browntown
#5 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 10:53:58 AM

Yep, meant that I found thebgikk lice on tgebhandful of Brookies I caught...about half the Brookies I've caught this year have had them..did catch a few a few months ago that did seem like it was affecting them , but the bill lice had pretty much shredded their gills to nothibg...waa barely any red in them...would have kept them but from a c+r all brook trout stream, and with how frail and skinny they seemed, prolly would have tasted like crap