Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages«<13141516>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
catbag  
#141 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 6:20:12 AM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That just looks like its going to produce, sweet fly! And I haven't seen that leech thread material but I really like the way it looks; Ill have to pick some up.
William Schlafer  
#142 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:31:40 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Crimson and Clover Buggers.

UserPostedImage

The red Marabou and Schlappen mixed with the Olive is interesting. I hope to show to some Trout soon to see if they like it too.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#143 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:09:27 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Looks great Bill.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
MN Mountain Man  
#144 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 6:14:03 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

UserPostedImage

Been tying up a storm lately and fishing way less than I would like this summer.
MN Mountain Man  
#145 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 6:34:22 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

UserPostedImage

Challenged myself today. Size 24 Quill Bodied Mayfly Dry/Emerger. I'm hoping this'll fool those PhD educated fishies!
William Schlafer  
#146 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 6:45:54 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

MN Mountain Man wrote:
UserPostedImage

Challenged myself today. Size 24 Quill Bodied Mayfly Dry/Emerger. I'm hoping this'll fool those PhD educated fishies!

Damn. You've got better eyes than I do to tie something that small, and I use a magnifier lamp with a 7" lens!!. I simply can't tie anything smaller than a number 16. Plus my dry fly fishing skills suck.

Great looking fly.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MN Mountain Man  
#147 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 6:50:32 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Yeah Bill, they're not easy on the eyes at all. I can only tie up a half dozen at a time. Plus it's tied on a curved caddis hook so the size of the fly is more like a 26. I did one on a 26 just to see if I could but I can't envision ever needing a fly that small. When I get orders for flies that small they're always headed to Colorado. Those big ol trout must like small meals.
jfinn  
#148 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 7:37:30 AM(UTC)
jfinn

MN Mountain Man wrote:
Yeah Bill, they're not easy on the eyes at all. I can only tie up a half dozen at a time. Plus it's tied on a curved caddis hook so the size of the fly is more like a 26. I did one on a 26 just to see if I could but I can't envision ever needing a fly that small. When I get orders for flies that small they're always headed to Colorado. Those big ol trout must like small meals.

All those tailwater fish love the small midge flies.
William Schlafer  
#149 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 9:20:09 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Between Thanksgiving Turkey binges and football games, I found some time to tie up some files for the upcoming season.

How about a dozen Pink Squirrels? An easy tie to warm up on. I custom blended my own dubbing to get that just right Fox Squirrel color with just the right amount on Antron for flash. Tied in size 12 using the heavier 2X TMC 2457 scud hook.
UserPostedImage

Here's some articulated flies. Not real big, about 3 1/2 inches in length. Tied with the Gamakatsu B10s Stinger hook in size 4, which helps keep the length shorter and the extra wide hook gap provides better hookups. I think this pattern is called the Monster Bugger on YouTube.. Had real good luck with these last spring.
UserPostedImage

All the dangly loose stuff on this pattern pulses great int he water and really gets the bigger Browns agitated.
UserPostedImage

Here's my take on Ryan's Frick's Fix Blackened pattern. His original is in the lower right corner of this photo. I really like the size and how this thing behaves in the water with the jig hook. I couldn't resist adding some additional Flash-a-Boo and some Pearl chenille for the body. Love the contrasting colors of the legs against the black Marabou.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Also tied up some of my version of the classic Woolly Bugger. Also in size 6. A real productive pattern when there's a stain on the water. The legs and longer flash material in the tail really sets this pattern apart from the original Bugger. A Titanium cone head and lots of wraps of lead wire really get it down to where the Trout live.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

-Bill
OTC_MN  
#150 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:31:44 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Love those articulated streamers.

What do you use for the collars on your Squirrels? Chenille?
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown