Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Dream destination recommendation Options
paul worsterberg of the deplacements
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:47:08 PM

hi all,

i am lucky enough to have a wife that has given me a great 40th gift--a fly fishing vacation of my choice in the US. she is willing to pay up and wants me to be in a nice lodge.

i am wondering if anyone has taken a trip to a western lodge that was exceptional? if so, what was it?

also to note, i plan on going spring of 2018 so mountain runoff is a concern.

thanks!!
briz
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:20:07 PM

Many western tail water rivers fish well in the spring. I've been taking a trip the last few springs to Craig, MT and fishing the Missouri. Big water so you need a boat &or guide. There are lodges but I've never bucked up the $. Tiny fishing town that is worth a look.
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:38:17 PM

thanks, briz. i'll take a look out that way. part of the reason i am looking for a lodge is that my wife knows i'd try to do a trip on the cheap and end up getting eaten by a bear or need to saw off my arm to get out of a crevasse or something. so i am looking for a lodge that "has it all". i'm particularly interested in lodges that include booze in the cost as they will surely lose money on me.
Zugbug
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:49:07 PM

If you plan your trip before or after spring runoff, you'll have more options. My suggestion would be to contact travel agencies that specialize in fly fishing travel. Three that I am familiar with include Flywater Travel, The Fly Shop and Yellow Dog. All three are excellent, and I'm sure that there are others. Using these agencies will add nothing to the cost. These agencies represent many western lodges. In my experience, they are very knowledgeable, honest and helpful.
mbchilton
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:06:46 PM

You might also use Orvis as a resource:
Orvis Travel Site
AKinMN
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:17:40 PM

If I had that pass I'd do either AK or MT.

Alaska is loaded with great all inclusive lodges with world class fishing, but more of a summer/fall deal with some spring steelhead. Bristol Bay Area is hard to beat.

On a river like the Missouri, run off isn't really a concern. Even when it's high, it's fishable. We killed it on the Mo' the end of May and it was at 12k cfs. Pre-run of n MT would be a blast.
NBrevitz
#7 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 7:38:31 AM

This isn't the US, but it's close, and well within the range of many fly fishing lodge rates. I've heard nothing but good things, huge native Brookies. They consider 17" Brookies to be eaters! Kwagama Lake Lodge, it's on my top 10 dream trips.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Browntown
#8 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 11:09:12 AM

If going to montana, I would highly recommend yellow dog outfitters..they are based out of Bozeman montana..they have lots of connections in the area...as far as run off goes from early may til end of June seems to be the worst...but that's just parts of some rivers...tgere are still countless options for fishing including the spring creeks
Hairball
#9 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 4:22:53 PM

I've bucked up the money a couple of times now for such a trip. What started out as a high school graduation gift to my son (and a send off before college) has now turned into our annual fishing trip to the Bighorn River in Montana. Take a look at the Bighorn Angler website. You can build all sorts of trip packages with guides, rentals, full days, half days, lodging, meals, etc. Few people leave the Bighorn River disappointed.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:30:34 PM

Thanks so much, everyone! I'll take a look at all the suggestions. good problem to have!