Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Morning Fishing In The Sun Options
William Schlafer
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 3:47:25 AM

My family reunion was today in Richland Center. So I decided to get up early and squeeze in a few hours of fishing before the clan gathered.

Lots of fog in the Wisconsin River valley on the drive up, but most of it burned away just as I arrived at the creek.

I wanted to fish hoppers, but that just wasn't working - too cool and wet. But the Pink Squirrel and Fricks Fix came to the rescue.

This nice Brookie liked the Squirrel too.

For some reason, there was a golf ball in the creek, and there isn't a golf course for 20 miles. Maybe the cows in the pasture are working on their short game?

The water was perfect with a slight stain and the creek had a great flow going. Fantastic weather for this time of year. Of course about the time I had to leave the hoppers really started flying around. Wish I had more time. Maybe I'll stop back to this stream in a few weeks.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz
#2 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 12:21:39 AM

Great report as alwaysThumpUp Love the small stream game.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
draik11
#3 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 9:36:51 PM

Love the brookie, Bill ThumpUp
Gurth
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:40:53 AM

William Schlafer wrote:

Love the colors on this one and those big red dots.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
William Schlafer
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:45:05 PM

Thanks guys, it was a decent day considering I was only there a couple hours.

Someday I feel this stream will really blossom it a top notch Trout fishery. It has everything in it's favor: limited farming impact, miles of improved stream banks with easements, several smaller tribs with reproducing Brook Trout, and plenty of cold spring water. It just needs a few more seasons to establish a stable reproducing population.

Aldo Leopold Trout Unlimited and the Ron Fargen Family have done a great job turning what was once a toilet for cows into a promising Trout stream. I grew up only a couple miles over the ridge from there, so it's really nice to return and fish Bear Creek again.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
draik11
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:37:40 PM

William Schlafer wrote:
Thanks guys, it was a decent day considering I was only there a couple hours.

Someday I feel this stream will really blossom it a top notch Trout fishery. It has everything in it's favor: limited farming impact, miles of improved stream banks with easements, several smaller tribs with reproducing Brook Trout, and plenty of cold spring water. It just needs a few more seasons to establish a stable reproducing population.

Aldo Leopold Trout Unlimited and the Ron Fargen Family have done a great job turning what was once a toilet for cows into a promising Trout stream. I grew up only a couple miles over the ridge from there, so it's really nice to return and fish Bear Creek again.

-Bill

As I type this, I hit pause on the Orvis podcast episode with the interview with Mat from the Driftless Angler. He said all of the old timers are calling this time, right now, the glory days of trout fishing in the driftless. Glad to hear this creek is part of it.
Gurth
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:30:08 PM

That one has long been on my list of places to check out and I've read reports on its tribs too.

I can't believe we're already running out of season. About 2 months left. Sad

Gotta make myself go north of the Wisconsin but I keep finding reasons (new places) to stay down here. The kayak doesn't help either as there is a bunch of warm water I want to get to now.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
derdmann
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 12:23:39 PM

Draik11,
Can you post the Matt podcast?
Doug
"The tug is the drug"
draik11
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:20:35 PM

derdmann wrote:
Draik11,
Can you post the Matt podcast?
Doug

Sure thing. the interview with Mat starts about half way through. Everything Tom Rosenbauer talks about before that is very interesting though.

Orvis Podcast with Matt Wagner