Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1617181920>
Trout Pics Options
Gurth
#171 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:26:13 PM

I did the butt kicking yesterday.

There are a whole bunch of streams between "here" and "there" that I've never explored for some reason. I either go far afield or don't have time and hit the ones within 20 minutes of my house. Never do the drive-by streams.

I've made a concerted effort to go to new places this year though and am now turning my attention to these middle places.

Got a bunch of brownies including several thick 15-16 inchers. Nothing less than 12 inches and every one of them fought really well (including many an aerial display) to the point that I often thought that I had a bigger fish on until I saw it.

Here's one of the thickies...

The largest fish of the night hit within 6 feet of my boots and I never really got good leverage on him. I knew right away that I was at a disadvantage. Managed to battle him for maybe 30 seconds before he leapt clear of the water and got off. Looked to be about 18 inches.

Oh well. I've gotten enough in that size range that it didn't spoil my night.

Scouted some other streams near the one I fished and saw a lot of risers. Cast under a bridge with a #4 Mepps and had a brownie chase it out of its territory by bumping it several times. Watched him do it and just had to laugh and go home.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
snbrd4evr
#172 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:09:07 PM

That's awesome you have streams like that so close to your house.

I got 5 of these little guys close to my house yesterday. Which is welcomed because I normally catch 1 or 2 every time I go Crying

Gurth
#173 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:56:00 PM

Nice to get some bows.

I don't know of anywhere near me on a stream that I can find bows.

I like variety.

There is a little spring lake pretty close by that has them though that I was gonna hit on my way home last night with my kayak. Was leaving the stream and realized that I forgot my paddle. RollEyes

That's when I decided to scout other streams. Smile
Browntown
#174 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 11:01:26 AM

Pretty sure some of the streams by you Gurth have bows..have caught them on BEC and sugar before
Gurth
#175 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 11:39:29 AM

Browntown wrote:
Pretty sure some of the streams by you Gurth have bows..have caught them on BEC and sugar before

Oh no doubt there are some rogues and broods here and there - I've heard of people getting them occasionally. I've gotten them on rare occasions further west.

Just not a bow stream per se or even one where they are part of the mix like there are brookie/brown streams.

Planning on hitting that little spring lake/pond that is supposed to hold them tomorrow AM in the yak. Hopefully I remember my paddle this time.
William Schlafer
#176 Posted : Friday, August 11, 2017 2:23:19 PM

I recall someone telling me about a creek somewhere in the SW part of the state that had an impoundment or dam that isolated the upper part of the stream. Someone cleaned out the resident Brown Trout and restocked it with Rainbows, similar to what was done on Seas Branch in Vernon county, only with Brook Trout. The dam was removed, or maybe a flood wiped it out, but you could still catch a few reproducing Rainbows that lived there. I want to say it was somewhere near Spring Green - but is was a while ago (1970s) so it might just be a memory now.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs
#177 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:17:50 AM

Don't go fishing on a sunny August afternoon, they said. Water is clear, fish will be hiding, they said.

17" brookie, caught about 1 pm, Aug 11, full sun, clear water, on a 1/2oz spinner.
Don't pay attention to the "rules" - you definitely don't catch fish from the
couch.

Between that and the 22" brown I caught last week (in stained water, but still, in August, in full sun, mid-day), I'd say I'm having a good month so far.

Yes, I know this photo sucks, but sometimes you're fishing by yourself and horse a beast out of a logjam who is not ready for her close-up, and getting her back in the water is more important than an arms-extended hero shot.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
William Schlafer
#178 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:13:20 PM

Great looking fish Shebs!!

The rules are definitely made to be broken - especially in the summertime with the weather we've been having. Normally this time of year is the slow season for stream Trout fishing. But cooler than normal temperatures, great water flow and a couple of floods to sweep out the silt and excess weeds are making for great fishing. With luck it will keep up right through the fall.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
mmalyuk
#179 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 8:23:36 PM

Shebs that brookie is awesome!
shebs
#180 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 8:54:09 PM

Thanks guys. New PB.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"