Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:40:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Here's a little primer on how to post images to the DTA website.

The DTA website doesn't have the bandwidth to support hosting of images. To post images here, you first need to upload them to an imaging hosting website and then post links to your images within your postings. There are lots of free options on the web for hosting your pictures, such as Imugur, Postimage, Tinypic, etc... You need to made sure whatever service you use has the ability to create hotlinks for forum websites (like DTA).

For example, on Imugur you'll see something like this when you upload your images:

UserPostedImage

Click on the "Copy" button next to "BBCode (message boards & forums)" and paste the HTML code into your message. Right clicking with your mouse and selecting paste usually works. Otherwise try selecting the Cntl & V buttons on your keyboard.

The hotlink may be noted differently on different hosting sites. It may be called "Hotlink For Forums" or simply "Share." You may need to experiment to find out what works. Clicking on the "Preview" button on the bottom of your DTA post will allow you to view and edit your message and images before you post.

A couple of notes.

Some web hosting services will produce HTML code that may need editing to prevent unwanted items (such as text or website links) to appear along with your image. Cleaned up HTML code will look something like this:

[img]http://mypics.com/bigtrout.jpg[img]

Note the hotlink above is bracketed by the text [img] on both sides of the link. Anything outside of the [img] brackets can be deleted.

Another thing to keep in mind is to resize your images before you upload. Really large pics will be difficult to view on laptops or smaller screens. I've found that images around 1200x800 in size work well. Many image hosting sites offer image resizing options, or you can use the application of your choice. I use FastStone, it's free and easy to use and has some nice retouching options.

Also, don't use PhotoBucket. They will try to collect $399/year from you after a trail period expires to allow your images to be viewed on forum websites.

Good luck!
-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:41:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
snbrd4evr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:27:40 AM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Great Advice!!!

I made this for the trout pics thread, I guess it could help for those who need photo's to follow ThumpUp

I also use imgur.com for most of my stuff. It's super easy, you sign in, look at your photos, then drag them onto the album (1,2). Once there, open the photo (3). To the right will be a box with a bunch of gibberish (4). Look for the one with "[ img ]" (under BBCode) copy, paste into forum. Done ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
shebs  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 1:09:10 PM(UTC)
shebs

Thanks for reposting my 6lb Brown LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
snbrd4evr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:55:53 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

shebs wrote:
Thanks for reposting my 6lb Brown LOL

Any time Sir ThumpUp
AutobotTrainer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:27:18 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Another great thing about imgur? Search "redheads"...
No thing created by man is infallible.
jfinn  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:33:36 AM(UTC)
jfinn

Does Flickr work? How do you get the BB Code?