Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Driftless Fly Selection Options
weiliwen
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:29:22 AM

I have a friend on another forum who ties boxes of flies for charity. Each box contains +/- 130 flies, and he sometimes has themes to these - one of them is an overall selection of dries, nymphs, with a few streamers. One is dedicated to very small flies, size 18 to 24; he also did a saltwater selection, and a streamers collection

I have asked that he tie me up a collection of flies most suitable for the Driftless Area. Here are just a few that I have to start with:

Pink Squirrels, natch, size 12-16.
Scud patterns TBN, 14-18
Hippy Stompers, 12-16
Morrish Hopper, 8-12

I can come up with more, with a little time, but I'd like your suggestions as to other dries, nymphs, terrestrials, and streamers. I would imagine the total kinds of flies would be 20-30, depending on color variations, and 4-6 flies of each type, whatever would total around 130 flies.

Once I have a do-able list, I'll send it to him, have him price the package (which includes a box) and get back to you. The price is usually in the neighborhood of $75, but when all is said and done, it's hardly more than 50 cents a fly, tied by a guy who's lived his whole life on the Au Sable River in Michigan. I plan to get one myself, and purchase a couple more for raffles/lucky draws for some fishing clubs I'm a member of. If this all comes together, I'll let you know, and you can purchase a box directly from him.

Thanks.
jrgordon
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:47:16 PM

I'd definitely include some 16-20 midges (zebra midge or biot midge), 12-16 Frenchies, 12-16 GTI Caddis, squirmy wormies, and some wooly buggers.

That's a start at least!
James G.
Instagram: @flyosophical
draik11
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:29:25 PM

Cranefly nymphs, 12-16
OTC_MN
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:25:31 PM

Sexy Walt's in 12-16
Jujubeatis in 16-20
Rainbow Warriors in 16-20
CDC Golden Stone in 10-14
Mugly Caddis in 14-18
Parachute Adams in 12-18
Barr's Emerger in BWO and PMD - 16-20 for the BWO, 14-18 for the PMD

If this were a year-round box with some winter flies too, I'd add:
Deep Blue Poison Tung in 16-22
Little Black Stone (dry) in 16-18
Morgan's Midge in 18-22
Jawbreaker Midge in 18-22
Barr's Pure Midge Larva in 18-22 in olive, black, and red

Ugh - this is why I have so many fly boxes...Blink
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
weiliwen
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:42:47 PM

Great start! thanks, guys. I'm going to put these all together on a list, and then maybe we can prioritize the top 25 flies, which will allow me to have several copies in several sizes to get up to about 130.
OTC_MN
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:59:15 PM

weiliwen wrote:
...and then maybe we can prioritize the top 25 flies...

Now you're just trying to start a fight, aren't you... LOL
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
weiliwen
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:18:15 PM

My list is coming together nicely, but looking specifically for some nice ant and beetle patterns, and also some more traditional dries popular in the area.
OTC_MN
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:18:30 PM

weiliwen wrote:
My list is coming together nicely, but looking specifically for some nice ant and beetle patterns, and also some more traditional dries popular in the area.

Ants
Galloup's Ant Acid in sizes 14-18
Egan's Bionic Ant in sizes 10-14 (this is a big ant, but it's super buoyant and easy to see, and fish don't seem to care if it's 2x bigger than any ant around).

Beetles
About the only one I tie is Tim Flagler's (Tightline Productions on Vimeo) Foam Beetle 2.0. I use orange McFlylon for the hotspot, and it works just fine...
- Roderick Haig-Brown