Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheDancingMan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:46:04 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just returned home from fishing the Brule the last three days. Unemployment sure does have it's benefits when you can fish the Brule and not encounter another person beating to death some pool. That said, steelhead are in the river, along with some huge spawning chinooks, and some cohos. Last night, there was quite a thunderstorm which caused the river to rise and give it a nice stain, otherwise I would have stayed longer.

But in basically two days of fishing, I landed two beautiful steelhead, one about eighteen inches. The other was bigger, around 21 inches or so but let it go right after popping the hook out. Hero photos of every fish you catch are quite overrated. Additionally, I caught a bunch of resident rainbows and 3 brown trout.

That being said, I found a size 10-12 buggy stonefly nymph to be quite effective. Make sure you have enough split shot on to get your nymph deep quickly. If you're not using a tuck cast, adjusting the depth of your indicator and changing the amount of split shot, you might as well go home. A proper dead drift is critical, fly selection not as important. This year I switched to a 7 weight 10' rod which works wonders when it comes to roll casts and mends. Don't be complacent in where you fish either, sometimes the best fish aren't in the pools. Work that faster water which really gets overlooked.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, September 21, 2017 6:04:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wibirdhunter  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:56:49 AM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Nice work.

Need to get up there but bird hunting comes first.
kinni  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:42:24 AM(UTC)
kinni

Nice! Love that shot of the fish holding in the current. Looking forward to some time up there on Sunday!
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:50:31 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have heard that unlike inland, the fish can be all over the place, not just the "trouty" looking spots. I find that interesting.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage