Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

Grouse/Woodcock Options
Hoggies
#1 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 7:17:32 PM

Anybody been out yet? I'm headed up to Chippewa Wednesday through Monday. We'll be fishing as well. The old cast and blast.
NBrevitz
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 5:19:36 PM

Haven't tried too yet, it's been too hot!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
ZP6
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 01, 2017 8:34:50 PM

I've been out 3 times so far this year. too many leaves but good for my pup to get out. only 1 flush at this point. Heading out again Monday morning.
Pete
#4 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 5:13:48 PM

Was out turkey hunting near Manitowoc over the weekend. Did kick up a woodcock out of some wet ground in a stand of hardwoods. Some cooler weather and more leaves off the trees would probably help a lot.
stan b
#5 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2017 10:32:40 PM

Was duck hunting in northern Kettles.
Saw a couple timber~doodles.
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Hoggies
#6 Posted : Monday, October 09, 2017 2:18:34 PM

Grouse - my father in law can't run his dog properly in thick cover, so the dog kicked as many birds as he pointed because he lets him range 60-70 yards into the bush before he starts to call him back. Doing that is fine in a pheasant field, but if you're letting him run 40 yards past where you can tell where he is, that causes problems. Another guy ran him for an hour and a half and didn't have any issues keeping him close. That said, I blew a couple of perfect point/flushes on the trail edge. I still haven't shot one.

Woodcock - everyone who was willing to get deep into the popple and along swamp edges limited. Another guy in our camp has a wirehair that's a woodcock machine, so my time hunting with him was productive.
ZP6
#7 Posted : Monday, October 09, 2017 3:29:09 PM

over the weekend we had 12 flushes...only took 2 shots and got 2 birds. still a touch thick
Hoggies
#8 Posted : Monday, October 09, 2017 4:24:21 PM

Good ratio, though.

I had a double get up in front of me at 10 yards and fly straight away from me, which would have been an excellent opportunity, but there was a stand of balsams at 5 yards. We had a few that were like that. I think the birds were running under them and then taking off.

We also caught a six-man limit of crappies in 2.5 hours with another ~15 released on top of that. I caught my new PB of 14" and we had 5 over 13".