Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbchilton  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 5:15:17 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Anyone hunt grouse/woodcock in the Driftless?
NBrevitz  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 11:35:25 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post

There are a handful of grouse around... I’ll flush a few every year trout fishing in Pierce County, but I’ll see and flush a lot more Pheasants. That said, I flushed 4 just walking the banks up in Sasquatchistan two weeks ago, so that should give you some idea on relative abundance. If you want birds, I’d get up near Nemadji or further. Woodcock do migrate through but there aren’t a ton of public parcels in The Driftless with good habitat to make them stick around.

As for Pheasants, there are some solid public properties in The Driftless if you know where to look.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
mbchilton  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 11:54:36 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Yeah, I can find pheasant. I grew up doing that. Never hunted grouse though. Do you think the reason you don’t flush them around trout streams is because they’re in the timber?
Hoggies  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:28:57 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

There are a handful of grouse around... I’ll flush a few every year trout fishing in Pierce County, but I’ll see and flush a lot more Pheasants. That said, I flushed 4 just walking the banks up in Sasquatchistan two weeks ago, so that should give you some idea on relative abundance. If you want birds, I’d get up near Nemadji or further. Woodcock do migrate through but there aren’t a ton of public parcels in The Driftless with good habitat to make them stick around.

As for Pheasants, there are some solid public properties in The Driftless if you know where to look.

I've heard drumming on public land in SE MN, but it's land that's popular with bowhunters, so there are limited opportunities to get in when nobody's around. I kicked a woodcock while I was pheasant hunting near Eyota (private spot) last November and was doing the rooster? Not a rooster? check for too long and didn't even shoot at it.
mbchilton  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7:15:25 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Thanks Hoggies. I’m going up to N Central MN for thanksgiving. I think I’ll get a full season non rez small game license and try a couple spots in the Driftless when I get back.

You sure that was a woodcock? Not much similarity to a rooster pheasant. They’re the size of a sparrow.
NBrevitz  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:44:15 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Yeah, I can find pheasant. I grew up doing that. Never hunted grouse though. Do you think the reason you don’t flush them around trout streams is because they’re in the timber?

That probably has something to do with it, but I flush s lot up north, even when fishing fairly open stuff.
Grouse are a lot of fun, Nemadji area and north in MN is excellent.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
ZP6  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 12:55:35 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Mbchilton- Anytime you make your way to Northcentral Wisconsin let me know. We have a decent amount of grouse around here.
Hoggies  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:19:32 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Thanks Hoggies. I’m going up to N Central MN for thanksgiving. I think I’ll get a full season non rez small game license and try a couple spots in the Driftless when I get back.

You sure that was a woodcock? Not much similarity to a rooster pheasant. They’re the size of a sparrow.

Haha, they're bigger than that, but I see your point. The main thing for me is the call they make when they flush. It was just doubly unexpected because it was a wild flush near where 4 hens got up out of a patch of canes over a point. I walked the edge to see if any more held tight and the little guy popped up out of nowhere and I think my mind melted a little bit.
Hoggies  
#19 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 5:09:17 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Had a real day yesterday. Flushed a hen and rooster (the hen went into my zone and the rooster went directly over my buddy, who waxed it), had a dog work a bird about 50 yards and then over the property line in a horse paddock... We whoaed the dog until the bird finally flushed and flew directly towards the house, so no shot there. I did flush a big ass woodcock in a swamp while we were trying to get the dogs off a raccoon they were chasing (it would have been an easy shot, but woodcock is closed).
mbchilton  
#20 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 5:49:15 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

I walked some grouse timber yesterday. First time targeting them. I wasn’t feeling well, so it was just a couple hours. I walked through some really thick brush. No birds seen.