Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 3:59:13 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Actually, the water emptied into Hudson Bay.

Here's what I had found about brookies in NW Ontario...

"Brook Trout are mainly found from the eastern border of Manitoba through Ontario, Quebec and onto the east coast of Canada with the greatest eastern populations being in Newfoundland and New Brunswick. Brook Trout are actually a species of Char and in prehistoric times evolved to be exclusively a sea-run trout. They lived in the Arctic Ocean and North Atlantic Ocean and only traveled into fresh water streams and rivers to spawn. Over a millennium the Brook Trout became distributed from central Saskatchewan through Manitoba and into Ontario and evolved to live permanently in fresh water lakes and streams.

During the last ice age a giant wall of ice stretched right around the border of Hudson's Bay and James Bay. This wall of ice prohibited the arctic watershed from draining water and it formed an enormous lake called Lake Agassiz. This lake eventually covered many of the small lakes and streams and the Brook Trout were free to swim around in Lake Agassiz. Near the end of the last ice age this wall of ice eventually broke with trillions of tons of water per second flowing into Hudson's Bay and the Brook Trout were swept away with the water. This basically wiped out the major Brook Trout populations in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

To this day, the previous location of Lake Agassiz is where Brook Trout are at their lowest concentrations."

When you're there it's like, how are there not trout in that stream?

I've often thought the same thing in parts of NW Ontario... This year was one of those years. Unusual in that Lake Trout are abundant in the watershed, but no Brook Trout. I have no idea why....
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 4:04:32 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'll admit, I don't know the ins and outs of lake run fishing or accepted practices or customs.

The next time I do it will be my first at more than just dabbling.

I was only saying that if someone who considers themselves a legit fisherman snags a big fish that is essentially just sitting there and then presents it as a "catch," I have no respect for that.

Edited by user Friday, November 10, 2017 4:06:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
NBrevitz  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 6:28:16 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I'll admit, I don't know the ins and outs of lake run fishing or accepted practices or customs.

The next time I do it will be my first at more than just dabbling.

I was only saying that if someone who considers themselves a legit fisherman snags a big fish that is essentially just sitting there and then presents it as a "catch," I have no respect for that.

It’s essentially just a case of being respectful. Some won’t be, but then again, if you resort to their level, complaining is a case of pot meeting kettle.

And it’s fairly straightforward really for the Browns and Steelhead. Present a bait naturally with the current, with or without a float (I find I snag less with a float, but you’re going to spook more fish in shallow clear water.) The Thingamabobber indicators for fly fishing are great, I like the red ones for stained flows and the clear ones for low and clear. Thill Floats are awesome for big water (best floats made IMO, but they’re very pricey, so I’ll run a lighter leader on a micro swivel to prevent $6 breakoffs. Just pound the big pools, keeping your bait just off bottom, and you’ll eventually connect. They hold a lot like stream trout do.

And yes, exactly. Sadly, the lake runners will bring out a bunch of the worst “sportsmen”. It’s one thing if it’s a kid, you watch it strike and foul hook itself, the hook popped out and reattached, etc. All of the above have happened to me. When you’re using a Sturgeon rod, with 60 lb power pro, and a 2/0 treble hook with an ounce of weight molded to it, to “catch” fish that are supposed to be the apex of Great Lakes sport fishing besides Musky, it makes you look like a fool. At least flossing a fish on light gear takes skill.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
ChadS  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:39:26 PM(UTC)
ChadS

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for posting. Canada looks like a neat place to fish and I am definitely going to give it a try next year. I'm in your camp in that I would rather fish where there are less people even if it means less fish.
thanks 1 user thanked ChadS for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 11/15/2017(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:48:06 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: ChadS Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for posting. Canada looks like a neat place to fish and I am definitely going to give it a try next year. I'm in your camp in that I would rather fish where there are less people even if it means less fish.

Thank you, and yeah it’s an awesome experience.