Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 3:37:22 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well I haven’t been fishing and can’t just go cold turkey on all this…

So I was looking through my photos for some for the best fish thread and I looked again at this hookjaw that I got during the final week.

UserPostedImage

I didn’t have my tape on me and didn’t lay him next to my rod as I’m not usually super worried about exact length other than whether a fish is a new best. I could see that he was a nice fish and he made a wake twice as he swam each way across the pool that he was in – my favorite part of the whole thing.

I called this one an 18 incher when I posted him in the trout pics thread, but in comparing him with the 18 inch fish that I actually measured this year, I can see that this guy was longer.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a photo that shows the entire fish stretched out. It’s tail is cut off and this wasn’t a stubby tailed fish… he had a rudder on him. Also - there is an arch in the fish’s spine.

Finally, the one on my arm is a bit of forced perspective (although not a ton) with his tail closer to the lens than his head – which would make him look longer than he is. I think. Or would he look shorter?

Even with all that though, it’s a safe bet that he is at least 19 inches, which would tie my best as I have gotten 3 of those over the years including one earlier this summer.

In trying to estimate this, I looked at measurable objects within the photos.

First off, my hand. I have decently large hands, so fish can look small in them. The span between the tip of my pinky and the tip of my thumb is 9.5 inches when my hand is wide open and flat.

Second, my wedding band. It’s 15/16ths of an inch in diameter.

Finally, my thumb from mid-first knuckle to tip is almost 1.5 inches.

UserPostedImage

Here he is on my arm…

UserPostedImage

Here are a couple shots of me holding an object similar in length. This ruler is slightly over 19 inches (the entire thing, not just the printed measuring portion)…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I know that it’s impossible to tell how big he actually is, but it’s bugging me (a little) now.

Maybe “bugging” is the wrong term. More like… It’s entirely possible that this is the longest trout I’ve caught and I’ll never know how long he actually was. That and I didn’t even realize it at the time.

Thoughts?

Other than… “I think you should have measured it.” Flapper Laugh

Edited by user Sunday, November 12, 2017 4:04:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
shebs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 5:09:26 PM(UTC)
shebs

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Thoughts?

Other than… “I think you should have measured it.” Flapper Laugh

Get a rod rule! Handiest thing I've ever spent 5 bucks on.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
mbchilton  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 5:41:32 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Who cares what the tape says? Nice fish.

Now, start throwing streamers and catch one that makes you forget about this one.
Mark Dahlquist  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 4:29:54 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Looks 19 or 20 to me. Your obsessed with the sport which is good. Keep up the good work!
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:56:05 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I didn't get a measurement on what was far and away the biggest muskie I've ever caught. Bugged me for a bit, but eventually realized it didn't make the fish any smaller or less fun not knowing *exactly* how big it was.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:47:55 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Points taken and I'm honestly not overly worried about it (just killing time). After re-viewing the photos though, it just crossed my mind that this boy was likely my biggest ever.

There are certain benchmarks that I hope to put in the rearview so as not to think about them anymore in terms of a goal. Not that I'm hell bent on any goal outside of going out there and enjoying my day – whatever that may entail each time.

That said though, passive goals like a slam… catch a tiger.. 20 inch Driftless trout… Things many trout fishermen think about although I never though about 20 specifically till I heard it here.

Really the only thing left is a 20 and I likely had him on my arm and didn't even realize it.

I almost never bother to carry my tape as even with bigger fish, I rarely bother measuring them as I typically don't like to dick around with them outside of a quick photo or two and honestly don't care beyond a guestimate. At least as any kind of a status thing.

Many of my favorite trout have been favorites for reasons outside of length.

It's more of a curiosity of "you're a big one to be in here" or "you may be the biggest I've ever caught" or simply "how the hell big are you" coz I can't tell.

What I have found though when I have measured is that I usually underestimate how big they are. A 14 inch trout really doesn't look very big when you're holding it.

Anyway, if I ever get a really big one, I can just lay it next to my rod and measure later.

I just failed to do that this time.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!