Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:06:34 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheDancingMan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Who could possibly be surprised by this? We can thank those "patriotic" Republican voters who sold their souls and integrity last November for this one.

Maybe your party should’ve put up a stronger, less flawed candidate as well... One without several major scandles in the past 10-12 years? Fact is, there were plenty of Obama Voters who went with Trump, your candidate wasn’t nearly as strong as her predecessor, and it’s tough for a party to win 3 consecutive elections, it’s been done once since 1948. Also, please stop branding 1/3 of the country as evil. Environmental republicans exist... If you guys want this changed like I do as well, maybe we can work together and not label everyone into their own little boxes. Life isn’t black and white. Thanks and have a good one.

Less flawed then Trump? Are you kidding? Yes, I am branding 1/3 of the country as idiots who support authoritarianism and a president who has taken less than a year to prove he doesn't have their interests at heart. I didn't hear any environmental Republicans cry in aghast when Trump left the Paris accords. You're not nearly as smart as you think you are.

1. I’ve never once written one word of support here for Trump, let’s get that out of the way... I’m saying you can’t throw out a blanket statement like that. Do you expect wealthy businessmen and women to support progressives who openly speak about redistribution of wealth? I wouldn’t expect the working poor to support a tax hike. Dude, people vote with their wallet, it’s been proven countless times. They also wanted something different, a lot of people felt left behind.

2. Hillary was a walking disaster zone. She lied time and time again (yes, Trump did too.) She had endless scandles, some of which occurred while she was Secretary of State. Had Kasich gotten the nomination and just kept his mouth shut, he’d have taken 400 electoral votes. By the same token, had your party run Jim Webb, and not gone so far left, you’d have won in a landslide, pulling a lot of those who reluctantly voted for Trump.

3. I’ll say this once and leave it at that. The anti-gun rhetoric coming from the left has alienated a lot of working class people. NRA members aren’t the ones committing mass shootings, and yet many in the left want us disarmed. How do you think that makes me feel? I’ve volunteered my time to teach firearm and hunters safety, trying to help people understand how to properly handle firearms, but since I want to buy some semi-automatic history pieces I’m apparently part of the problem.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
stan b on 11/14/2017(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:59:34 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

You're not nearly as smart as you think you are.

Ok then, I’m being reasonable and calling both sides out. I’ve made my calls to congressmen, I give a lot of what very, very little $ I have to conservation programs. But I’m the dumb and shortsighted one... Thanks, I’ll really have to re-examine my life, morals, goals and ambitions now, I’m ashamed of myself.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:51:28 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Brevitz, agree with pretty much everything you said there. It's nice to see someone mention Jim Webb. A true Blue Dog democrat. I think it was the first debate where he stood up and supported the 2nd ammendment and our right to defend ourselves. He was immediately blackballed from any further consideration for the nomination after that. That is a huge problem that democrats have to address if they wish to consistently start winning elections again. People don't like to be told they're evil for owning guns and exercising a right. Go figure. It's telling someone you don't think they should be able to defend themselves and their home simply because some nut job broke already-existing laws and committed a horrible and largely unpreventable crime. The only way you're going to get rid of gun crime is to get rid of guns completely. Not only is that unconstitutional, it's simply never going to fly in America...not without another Civil War that would likely make the first one look tame by comparison.

Also agree that Kasich would have won much easier than Trump did...and the campaign would have been a whole lot more respectable and less divisive. What it all comes down to is we need to rid ourselves of radicals on both ends of the political spectrum.
thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 11/14/2017(UTC)
Guillermo  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:53:40 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
DancingMan, I certainly have a few grievances with Trump as well, but he is no authoritarian. That is an overreaction and only serves to further the divide between the parties. Obama was the same to many on the Right, also an overreaction. The country did not collapse under Obama nor will it collapse under Trump.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:54:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
stan b on 11/14/2017(UTC)
weiliwen  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:12:44 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
We're at our best when repubs are slightly right of center and dems are slightly left of center. That breeds pragmatism and shit gets done.

Best words in this thread. There used to be a time when both parties were broad coalitions, with conservatives and liberals in both parties. Back then, neither the D's nor the R's were political parties in the sense that they are in the rest of the world. It also meant that bipartisan cooperation was the order of the day in the Senate and House. I could lay blame on who or what is most responsible for the shifting of parties to their current corners, and do have my opinions on this, but what good would it do?

Edited by user Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:13:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification and grammar repair

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 11/14/2017(UTC)
TheDancingMan  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:53:49 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"Dude, people vote with their wallet, it’s been proven countless times. They also wanted something different, a lot of people felt left behind."

Don't even begin to tell me about people voting regarding jobs and money. I graduated college in 2009 and I know what it's like for the economy to be in in ruins. In 2016 and 2017 that is not the case. There are so many jobs out there, it's incredible people fell for that.

Who even brought up guns? You guys all think I am some liberal crazy but in fact I'm a moderate democrat. The reality is guns are going nowhere in this country, but what's tragic is some cuckolded GOP moral cowards can't even agree or throw a bone and let the CDC study mass shootings and what we can do as a country to address this problem. I refuse to acknowledge a reality where we have to accept these mass shootings as a part of daily life. The sad part is you gun guys can't even put up solutions besides some fantasy "good guy with a gun."

Brevitz, life is that dangerous in Lake Elmo you need a semi-automatic weapon? No one needs those weapons, join the military if you really need one. I walk through Frogtown in St Paul everyday and have never felt the need for a gun.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:56:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:44:18 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

"Dude, people vote with their wallet, it’s been proven countless times. They also wanted something different, a lot of people felt left behind."

Don't even begin to tell me about people voting regarding jobs and money. I graduated college in 2009 and I know what it's like for the economy to be in in ruins. In 2016 and 2017 that is not the case. There are so many jobs out there, it's incredible people fell for that.

Who even brought up guns? You guys all think I am some liberal crazy but in fact I'm a moderate democrat. The reality is guns are going nowhere in this country, but what's tragic is some cuckolded GOP moral cowards can't even agree or throw a bone and let the CDC study mass shootings and what we can do as a country to address this problem. I refuse to acknowledge a reality where we have to accept these mass shootings as a part of daily life. The sad part is you gun guys can't even put up solutions besides some fantasy "good guy with a gun."

Brevitz, life is that dangerous in Lake Elmo you need a semi-automatic weapon? No one needs those weapons, join the military if you really need one. I walk through Frogtown in St Paul everyday and have never felt the need for a gun.

I’m saying people want to keep their $. Hillary wanted to close tax loopholes for wealthy Americans, wealthy Americans didn’t like that, that’s all I’m saying. I’m talking about taxation and redistribution of wealth, not job availability. If 100 people felt lukewarm on two candidates, and one was going to raise their taxes, while the other lowered them, they’d probably vote for the guy touting the tax cut far more often than not.

I know you didn’t bring up guns, I brought them up because I believe that Democrats have been costing themselves votes in their war against semi-automatic guns, explaining part of why Trump won. A lot of those “idiot” Republicans wouldn’t vote for Hillary simply due to her stance on those weapons. I know several of them, and despite what you may think of them, they’re good people. They also willingly gave up proposed free college for their children to ensure they keep their 2nd Amendment Rights. They’re far from rich. One of my best friend's parents live in a Duplex, they are forced to partially live off of disability due to the husband's chemical exposure at Anderson Windows. They've voted Democratic for years, they're huge backers of Labor Unions. That said, they voted for Trump because they want to be able to keep their gun rights. They voted Mondale in 84, and yet they crossed the aisle, that should tell you something.

Mass shootings make up a small minority of murders in the country, that’s been proven many times. The media sensationalizes them. You won’t see CNN, ABC, MSNBC or Fox getting exclusives with relatives of a gang related murder victim in Chicago, even though that happens a lot more. As for the fantasy good guy with a gun, one of those just showed up in Texas.

Also, notice I said history pieces? I want a semi-automatic BAR, maybe a M1 Garland too. It’s 100 year old technology, my great grandfather used a BAR during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive in WWI, which was apparently a cakewalk after Belleau Wood. My grandfather trained men on how to operate both in Korea. I thought it’d be cool to own a piece of history, have my grandfather show me how they cleaned and reassembled them while he’s still around, maybe whack a deer or two. I guess I’m just compensating for something though huh? Please don’t tell me what I do or don’t need...

Edited by user Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:29:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling and Grammar

thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
weiliwen on 11/15/2017(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:40:50 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Brevitz, life is that dangerous in Lake Elmo you need a semi-automatic weapon?

Funny you should ask... Actually, my dad's locked truck was just stolen from Lake Elmo Park Reserve a few weeks ago. It was recovered in St Paul a few days ago. Until insurance sorts it out, we're on the hook for the repairs, about $5k worth... We're also surrounded by quite a bit of Meth activity in Lakeland and Lake St. Croix Beach. I've been pulled over because I guess I fit the description of a meth runnerLaugh My neighbors have also been broken into a couple times. So yes, I can justify having the M1A ready to go. I honestly hope I never have to use it, I don't have a Rambo Complex, but its ready in case something happens and I like it that way. If bad people don't threaten my home or family, it'll never be an issue.
NE IA Drifter  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:31:57 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

You're an idiot an exemplify everything that is wrong with American politics. You're probably some kid from middle of nowhere Midwest USA who moved to St. Paul and now thinks they know everything.

Your foul language does nothing but make you look even more idiotic and I hope that your family doesn't see it. The fact that you use such language when describing your disdain with other ideology shows that you, in fact, are the cuckold. I feel bad for the kids who you teach and hope that they are old enough to understand how simple minded you are.

Instead of trying to belittle others please suggest instructive ideas for protecting our environment. Have you thought about volunteering in conservation groups?

We should really stop with the name calling. It doesn't accomplish anything except drive the divide in our country further.

To keep this on topic here is a link to a blog by one of the guides quoted in the article:

https://arcticwild.com/category/general/

Edited by user Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:42:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BTJ  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:43:39 PM(UTC)
BTJ

^ Here’s an idea to help protect the environment: vote Democrat. There’s no hiding from the fact that the current crop of republicans, both locally (especially in WI) and nationally are an absolute disaster for our conservation heritage and the environment. Dems aren’t perfect by any means, but take a look at Obama’s waters of the US, which would be an incredible contribution to helping trout streams, waterfowl, and upland habitat. Trump started to eliminate it in his first days in office - including immediately rescinding the stream protection rule. These guys are bad news for our environment.

That said, I know people prioritize various issues. But the environment is an important one for me; I used to vote for republicans most of the time, but when they started with this BS, I switched my vote and never looked back.

As for guns, since it was brought up, I am much closer to the republican line of thinking. But it saddens me to see people prioritize a hypothetical threat against ARs over a real and documented assault against the outdoors via legislation and regulatory rollback. Guns are protected by our constitution but the environment is not.
I agree that name calling isn’t a good idea. Civil discussion helps more than entrenchment!