Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 1:44:56 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So seems like we're getting into 'tying season' here soon, if we're not there already.

I'm not an especially good fly tier. I look at photos of some of the flies others tie, and think "I could sit at my bench for a year, and never tie something that elegant." Some guys have perfectly organized benches with everything stored and labeled. Mine usually looks like someone took a 12 gauge to a parakeet at close range. I'm a big fan of functional, three-minute flies, although I'll work a little harder at some patterns because they're effective and challenging to tie. Hoppers and adult crane flies come to mind...

But I love tying. Something about hunkering down in my office on a cold, nasty winter afternoon, watching the rows in a fly box slowly fill up just feels like some sort of investment in better days ahead.

So while I sit here waiting for my latest materials orders to arrive (Lord help me, I bought more dubbing. Why did I buy more dubbing? I have enough to last me till doomsday...) I started going through boxes making note of what I'm short on, sorting out new patterns I'd tried last season that did or didn't make the cut for next season, got to wondering what everyone else has on their list to tie up this winter?

I'll be starting with my midge box. Shockingly short on some larvea and pupa patterns I know I'll be wanting as soon as the winter season starts up and shoot - that's only a month and change away...

So. Whatcha tyin'?
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 2:52:28 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I too am waiting for my latest fly tying materials order to come in from Feather-Craft.. I threw out a bunch of crappy Schlappen and Marabou feathers that were never going to make decent flies. I relearned that same old lesson... buy quality stuff, or you'll end up paying for junk over and over.

Woolly Bugger variants and clones of Ryan's Frick's Fix patterns on on the list for this winter. I may do some more articulated patterns too, as they're lots of fun to tie.

This one caught a few Trout for me last season. Mine will never top Ryan's version, but they work. I love the color of those legs contrasted with the black Marabou.
UserPostedImage

Here's some Triple Threat Buggers in single and articulated versions. These seem to work great early in the season, but are ignored in the later months for some reason. They look sloppy on the bench, but really have nice pulsing movement in the water.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
fifly333  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 3:04:02 PM(UTC)
fifly333

Man

It's funny your bench sounds a lot like my. I like to tie pink squirrels. I also tie more of the bugs that float on top of the water. I love watching raising fish of all kinds. I fish for more bluegills and bass, but get up to the trout steam a few times a year in northern Iowa.
Pete  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 4:48:56 PM(UTC)
Pete

Lots of Clousers will be tied this Winter, I hope, due to my new focus on smallmouth bass. Some deer hunting buddies gave me a bunch of tails, some of which I've dyed, and they're waiting for me to get to it.

I've also got some turkey and pheasant skins so I just mess around with those: marabou leeches, soft hackles, variations of Teeny nymphs and Teeny leeches. Not pretty, but they catch fish.

weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 4:55:19 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1 on Pink Squirrels; they are so easy to tie that I'll spend my money at The Driftless Angler on something else, LOL! I bought two fly lines from them on the last Saturday of the season, so they get enough of my cash already.

I'll also be tying some foam flies, ant, beetle, and hopper imitations, as well as Hippie Stompers, which imitate what, I don't know.

I'm going to try my hand at some larger streamers, but I have a hard time pulling the ones I already have out of my fly box; it just doesn't seem like fly fishing to me. Woolly Buggers, sure, and I'm going to find something that looks sorta chub-ish, too. Open to ideas on what might constitute a chub imitation, but one of those big flashy articulated numbers isn't it, no slur against their effectiveness.

I have plenty of dries and midges,but probably some more PT nymphs, GRHE's will also be on the plan

Oh yeah, I did see a cool article about using the fibers from the seeds of milkweeds as wing material for very small streamers; by chance, I recently collected the seed pods from all the milkweed plants in my yard, with the idea of spreading them around the area next spring, so I have plenty of the fiber available. Milkweed fly

Edited by user Friday, November 17, 2017 5:29:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added a fly

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
OTC_MN  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 6:13:45 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

I'll also be tying some foam flies, ant, beetle, and hopper imitations, as well as Hippie Stompers, which imitate what, I don't know.

..... I'm going to find something that looks sorta chub-ish, too. Open to ideas on what might constitute a chub imitation, but one of those big flashy articulated numbers isn't it, no slur against their effectiveness.

Hippie Stompers imitate food. Lord knows what kind of food exactly, but fish just eat 'em. LOL

For chub-ish patterns, check out the High Carb Minnow from Fly Fish Food. Very simple tie, and you can substitute the dubbing they use to make the head/collar with most any long-fibered dubbing like laser dub, etc. (That said, their Bruiser Blend is great stuff.)

FFF has quite a few good streamer patterns besides this one actually. The Low Fat Minnow, Belly Scratcher and Cheech Leech are all very good, and not overly complex relatively speaking. The Belly Scratcher is a really neat pattern. Weighted, but the weighting system is pretty ingenious. Gaves you a weighted fly that still has a slim minnow profile.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
weiliwen on 11/17/2017(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 20, 2017 4:18:55 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Ended up getting up early Saturday morning (it's pretty much impossible to explain things like "Weekend" and "Daylight Savings Time" to a black lab) and since the kid was still asleep and the BOSS was out of town, actually had some time to sit down at the vice and start restocking some boxes.

[img=UserPostedImage]Bugs[/img]

Size 14 Tungsten Surveyors and PMD-flavored Iron Lotus, and size 16 beatis.

The Surveyors are just a good attractor nymph, plus they kinda sorta look like a scud I suppose. The Iron Lotus is one of my favorites, in this color or olive with a red hotspot that's a little more beatis-ey. About as durable as a fly can be.

The little beatis is a pattern I tie mainly on jig hooks but works on a straight shank too, and it's really a simple one. Tail, micro tubing body (olive, brown-olive or black all work) and a dubbing collar. In smaller sizes I suspect it's as much a midge imitation as a beatis. It's hard to find jig hooks smaller than 18s, but I just got some size 20s from Firehole Outdoors, so I'll be tying some of these in 20 here soon. Should be a good one this winter I'd think. Great thing about these is they're a 3 minute fly, so you can crank out a bunch of them in a hurry.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:12:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

- Roderick Haig-Brown