Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stan b  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:50:56 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
How many of the posters here are members in good standing (dues paid to date) of the national TU and a local chapter?

Also, could you briefly describe pros/cons and your experience.
Benefits, time you volunteer, etc.

Stan b

Edited by user Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:44:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:56:58 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm a member. Two times over I guess since I am a regular member and also have a TU license plate.

I have never interacted with my chapter.

I hope to help out at some point on a volunteer day, but I admit that I've been bad about not making it a priority to do so. Been a bit selfish with my time in that regard.
Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
stan b on 12/7/2017(UTC)
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 1:58:24 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm a member, but I haven't yet attended meetings. I will do so for the first time in a week. I haven't found that the chapter leadership is tremendously responsive, but I'll give them a chance at the meeting. I like their calendar; it hangs on my office wall. And, I know that at the national level, they do good works, so I give them my money for that.

I wish the "fishing club" aspect were better, but these days, I suppose that DTA serves that function, and I like DTA better for that because, although I'm a fly fisherman, I really love to hear what the spinner fishermen are up to; I bought myself a spinner outfit so I can use it this coming year. TU doesn't SAY it's for fly fisher's site, but you never see them offer spinning rods for donations, do you?
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 12/7/2017(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:15:51 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've been a national TU member for seven years. I've attended local chapter meetings and events at several chapters and assisted with projects, like lunker building on Bear Creek. I enjoy their magazine and calendars. I appreciate the conservation work they do and the voice they give to that effort on the political side. I believe their heads & hearts are in the right place, and they occasionally challenge long held opinions and back up their direction with science and practical experience. I'm happy to give them my money to continue that work.

I think the only downside to the organization is the snob reputation that some people cast at them. Of all the people I've met though the years that are associated with TU, very few actually fit that image. Most are like the folks I've met at DTA: a broad range of backgrounds, opinions and fishing styles, and are welcoming to all. But in the end, we all share the same passion. What unites us is stronger that what divides.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
stan b on 12/7/2017(UTC), WI-fly on 12/11/2017(UTC)
Pete  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:04:51 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I first joined TU back in the 90s when I started trout fishing. I was a member for several years but then left when I found myself doing almost no trout fishing. I rejoined a few years ago when I found DTA and got back into chasing trout. I think TU does a great job of making our voices heard and advocating for cold water conservation. I only go to local chapter meetings on rare occasions: I've attended when the topic was of real interest to me, e.g., tenkara or local smallmouth fishing. But as our meetings are not held at a restaurant, if one leaves from work without a chance to eat, it can be pretty hard to stay focused with an empty stomach for that long. I've done a few things-family days, film fest-with the SE WI chapter. That's a very active chapter that does a lot of good for the trout fisheries in the area. The quarterly journal is pretty informative; I keep the calendar in plain view of my desk at work for those occasions when I need it (which occur often December-February).

I'm not a member of Ducks Unlimited but will occasionally read their magazine. There was a big uproar in the recent past when they took a formal position to limit public access in Montana, something which would require changing the state constitution. It was supposedly done at the behest of one of their big donors who owned land in Montana and didn't want the [i]hoi polloi [i][i] using public waterways to access riparian habitat adjoining his property. someone somewhere mentioned that something similar had happened with TU, probably while my membership was on hiatus, because I have absolutely no memory of having heard about it. Are there any long-time members here who can remember anything like that? It sure doesn't sound like something the current TU would do, restrict access via public water.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
stan b on 12/7/2017(UTC)
Hoggies  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:30:02 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
-I'm not a member.

-I've donated money (IF4 ticket and raffles!... Actually there was a spinning rod as a raffle prize at the event I attended. A pretty nice custom 7' medium action with a picture of a walleye inlaid in the grip. But still). Also on the note of whether or not members are snobs, everybody was pretty nice.

-I follow the national organization on FB and have sent public comments and correspondence to my congressman and senators about conservation issues based on their postings.

-I enjoy the work they do on the streams near my house. They put a trash bin in the parking lot at one access, which honestly makes it even easier to pack out all my trash plus whatever I find while I'm fishing.

-My local chapter has their meetings scheduled during my regular shift at work, but I don't work Real People Hours, so that's to be expected.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
stan b on 12/7/2017(UTC)
Zugbug  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:40:04 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been a member of TU for a long time, although I have never participated in their meetings or projects. The “snob” criticism is not entirely undeserved - they do seem to spend a little too much time giving each other awards. However, they have made a huge contribution in regard to the improvement of trout fishing in Wisconsin. For those of us who have been trout fishing in SW Wisconsin for many years, the quality of trout fishing in the Driftless is now vastly better than it was 40 years ago, and this is entirely due to stream and habitat improvement projects. The TU has played a major role in this, together with the Wisconsin DNR and landowners.
thanks 2 users thanked Zugbug for this useful post.
stan b on 12/7/2017(UTC), WI-fly on 12/11/2017(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:50:23 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post

I'm not a member of Ducks Unlimited but will occasionally read their magazine. There was a big uproar in the recent past when they took a formal position to limit public access in Montana, something which would require changing the state constitution. It was supposedly done at the behest of one of their big donors who owned land in Montana and didn't want the [i]hoi polloi [i][i] using public waterways to access riparian habitat adjoining his property. someone somewhere mentioned that something similar had happened with TU, probably while my membership was on hiatus, because I have absolutely no memory of having heard about it. Are there any long-time members here who can remember anything like that? It sure doesn't sound like something the current TU would do, restrict access via public water.

The DU thing was regarding Don Thomas, who had written the back page column in DU's magazine for years. Thomas wrote a piece for a regional publication around Bozeman MT about James Cox Kennedy, a billionaire who had tried for years to block public access to the Ruby River where it ran through his land. Thomas wasn't too kind to Kennedy, although his reporting was accurate. A short time later, Thomas got a call from the DU magazine managing editor informing him that he'd been directed by the DU board to fire Thomas.

Kennedy was a major DU donor and a former board member. DU insisted that Kennedy had no role in Thomas' firing. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Given how core public access and public land is to the message DU promotes, it created a pretty big flap within DU. The message seemed to be that when push came to shove, wealthy donors mattered more than the members they claimed to represent. I cancelled my membership over it. As a hunter and angler who relies on public access to do what I do, plus being an outdoor writer, it set me off on about every level possible.

Edited by user Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:55:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
stan b on 12/8/2017(UTC)
BTJ  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:51:52 PM(UTC)
BTJ

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Im a member of TU, DU, and PF. The differences between them are pretty interesting. DU is all about not rocking the boat, so they don't talk politics and they don't write controversial articles. I think once in the last three years did they actually encourage people in WI to contact their legislators, whereas TU does it all the time. That said, DU's penetration rate among hunters is way higher than TU and they always entertain both political parties. They avoid pissing off anyone. TU on the other hand, is ready to go haywire over any legislative issue, which I tend to like, but it probably alienates some folks. For example, DU's website states that they believe in climate change, but their magazine never talks about it. TU's references climate change like every issue, although I don't like their magazine as much, way too many articles about the meaning of life and people griping about taking trophy fish pics. Who cares! Be happy people are out fishing just be polite and say release the fish as promptly as possible. DU's model with the banquets is a lot better than TUs also I think.

But Im not terribly surprised about the Montana thing, although it chaps my ass. They are big in working with private landowners and also, WI and MN are sort of unique in terms of water access and that most folks just hunt public land. In many places down south, out west or out east many (if not most) hunters go to clubs and private land. Their membership base also seems significantly more conservative in my opinion. So, a lot of their work is behind the scenes lobbying and they don't publicize a lot of it. TU, like I said, is always willing for a fight from what I can tell. Locally, TU has done so much in the driftless. I know some folks aren't crazy about HI, but overall the fishing and access is way better than it was in the past, and they did a lot (along with WIDNR) to get it this way- so they earned my support. WI doesn't seem to be on DUs radar so much, although it should be because we have a lot of duck hunters here. They seem most invested in the prairies and wintering grounds, which are of course important also.

PF seems the least effective tbh, but they've also probably got the toughest challenges dealing with everything getting converted to row crops and whatnot. Without something like ethanol going away or some big legislative change, I think pheasants will continue to struggle in WI.
thanks 1 user thanked BTJ for this useful post.
stan b on 12/8/2017(UTC)
trapper  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:14:25 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
TU member
Caught Crawford County highway dept doing a major bridge project without any erosion control-grr
A call to local fish biologists got the silt control issue solved.

Actions count
Get Reel
thanks 2 users thanked trapper for this useful post.
stan b on 12/8/2017(UTC), weiliwen on 12/8/2017(UTC)