Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 2:30:33 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
My daughter is a sophomore at UM - Duluth, and when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday (Dec 29) she said "I want a fly rod." Having a friend who's a rod builder custom build at 6W for her on a TFO blank, and getting her set up with the rest of the stuff she'll need, but I wanted to fill up a box of flies for her. She'll be fishing some of the local streams up around Duluth and up the North Shore, plus some stillwater stuff for bass and panfish I'm sure, especially if she follows through on getting herself a kayak.

I'm figuring on some buggers and clousers for sure, probably some hair bugs for bass, plus some smaller panfish-ey stuff.

Anyone have any other suggestions? She's staying up there for the summer so it'll be kind of a year-round deal for her.

She'll have waders, and she swiped my copy of Fly Fishing in Minnesota and an All Outdoors map book the last time she was home so she could start researching places to go.

Pretty sure as soon as she discovers the brookies up there, she'll be asking to borrow one of my 3-weights too. BigGrin
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 3:49:44 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Consider yourself very blessed
Get Reel
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 4:53:52 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Plan a visit with her to the Superior Fly Angler fly shop. They should have some excellent advice on what flies and equipment works well in that area. It's an excellent well run fly shop. I stop every time I'm I travel to Duluth to visit my brother.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
OTC_MN on 12/9/2017(UTC)
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 10:14:43 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Take a look at the fly box I put on offer on the thread "Welcome to the new DTA!" You'll have a box of everything from tiny midges to articulated streamers, tied in Michigan for the Upper Midwest. Plus, for the C-note, you get the satisfaction of helping DTA, because if I sell it, I am donating the money to this site to cover expenses incurred renewing it.

That would get your daughter set up for flies in one swoop.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 3:19:39 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post
Consider yourself very blessed

I do. She's a great kid. ThumpUp

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 8:49:52 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I’d do plenty of egg patterns, egg sucking leaches, Pass Lakes and other single wing streamers, X Legs, and basic dry attractors.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."