Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

54 Pages«<3233343536>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#331 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:03:52 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post

Oh, and I didn't fall down.

Sounds like a nice day!

In all seriousness if I make it through a day without slipping or falling over it's success defined.
thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
stan b on 1/10/2018(UTC)
Hoggies  
#332 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:49:05 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I got my reel all tied up and headed to my "home stream" for like 45 minutes today. The water was pretty nice and I didn't see any action since I'm still working out the whole casting thing. I did manage to whip-crack a bugger and a length of tippet halfway into winona county when I got excited that I finally had a decent loop going and I dropped the hammer too hard and too early.
shebs  
#333 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:14:53 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Got out for about 3 hours this afternoon in pierce county. Larger stream, mostly clear of ice after the warm couple days. Only a bit of residual shelf ice on the sides of slow runs and eddies. Water was gin clear - any snowmelt didn't seem to be clouding the water.
Managed 15 or so, all browns, best fish was just shy of 16 - did briefly hook into a nicer fish that was probably pushing 20, but not for long...
#4 PM (Schmidtty rebuild, actually) in silver was working, never took it off all afternoon.
Deep freeze returns this weekend, and all the progress we made on the shelf ice will reset...bummer.

Edited by user Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:18:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Gurth  
#334 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:01:44 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I couldn't get them to bite on anything shiny over the weekend. Tried black body with copper (#6) and gold (#9) blades. Maybe I needed to size down as the water was gin.

What did work was this:

UserPostedImage

Not terribly surprising as dark tends to work best in the winter.

These have been in the clearance section through Panther Martin and at $2.50 each for a #9 PM, felt like I had to give them a try. I had never seen these anywhere including the web site till they showed up in the clearance section.

Wasn't so sure about the glitter and the blue, but worst case, I could strip the blades and have a black body/metallic blade.

Well, they worked fantastically and even though I had bought 20 of the #6s and #9s initially, I bought the rest of the #6s and #9s that PM had left (15 more?) when I got home Sunday night. Flapper

May seem excessive, but I go through a ton of PMs every season due to some snag loss but mostly just beating them up to the point that they're useless.

Oh yeah… and Shebs… you (and maybe also Ron and NB) had been mentioning sizing up on the PMs and it took a while, but I've come around to your way of thinking.

Except of course on small or shallow streams which I also go to a lot – probably half my time.

A buddy who I've trouted with in the past, but not in the past year even commented on Sunday wondering if my PM was too big.

Nope. Not for the water we were on.

Edited by user Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:12:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#335 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:39:59 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I usually use 4s when it's clear and cold, larger sizes seem to spook the fish. I've had days when I couldn't get a take on anything bigger than a 2, but I only keep a couple of those on hand because I just alnost never use them. But as soon as it starts to warm up in march or so it's up to 6, 9, and then 15 come may or june.
Good call on stocking up when they're cheap. The wire they use nowadays just doesn't last, especially on the smaller sizes. Catch one nice fish and the wire is bent and the lure is toast. Ron has been rebuilding my throwaways with a heavier wire, and they're a huge improvment.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
rschmidt  
#336 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:06:22 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Well Tuesday afternoon was a great weather day. I had a first tech malfunction that lost video on about 10 brookies and the first hour of the outing. I was able to recover and see some of it but it was pretty mangled, so it goes.

They water was quite low and still had some small pool ice floating. Fish were active but a lot of slow nipping. Had two that smashed the slow retrieve deep and I fear they are now in trout heaven. A cpl of browns. All in all, around twenty to hand. Here a few pics, some beauties, but no giants today!

UserPostedImage
This was a second cast fish and there were hundreds of fish in the first pool. No video, but 4 or 5 came to hand in the first 30 min,

UserPostedImage
Awesome sunsets today!

A couple more Cute Brook Trout.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A couple brown trout
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage[/url]

Another sunset
UserPostedImage[/url]

I hit this spot because there are tiger trout present. "Tiger Alley" was iced over. These are the typical size fish you find here with an occasional big brown 18-20"

As of Tuesday my penetration rate on the season was 75%, I have fallen to a meager 42%

Happy Fishing! R

Edited by user Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:08:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#337 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:10:52 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Oh also, I had fish ignore size 6 lures, but they were on the 4 Tuesday. R
William Schlafer  
#338 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 3:20:00 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Drove up to La Crosse today. No time to fish, but I did stop and take a look at a few streams on my way back to Milwaukee.

Coon Creek (at Coon Valley) looked great and had good flow. No ice to be seen, but a fresh dusting of snow on the ground. Reads Creek was also ice free and I saw a fisherman working a section above Readstown. Mill Creek (north of Boaz) also had good flow and I could see Trout feeding on the surface below a small waterfall pool.

Can't wait to get out as soon as we get some decent weather on a weekend.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, January 12, 2018 3:22:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#339 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:15:02 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Being a diehard, went out today in spite of 0 degrees at 9:00 when I started.

Fishing was quite slow except in the spooking of trout. Had em on the run all day. RollEyes

One notable pool... I crawled all stealth like to an opening in the 3 foot grass about 15 feet downstream from the inlet drop. Could see a few decent fish up there through the grass, but they couldn't see me.

Made the cast and a couple turned and chased for a moment and then took off downstream which led to about 40 of their friends following.

Watched the parade right below me in the gin clear water. Laugh

Okay... time to move along.

Did manage 5 average browns on the day which I should probably be satisfied with considering the conditions.

They wouldn't bite on black today and the only PM I got them on was a #4 black bodied/gold blade salamander. And I tried numerous variants.

Was due for a day with frustrations after the stupid-good fishing of Sept and Oct and the nice opening weekend. Today was that day...

1) As I mentioned, spooky fish. They had me made all day. No matter how I snuck up on a pool, there'd be one little shite at the tail that would bolt upstream. Was even trying to catch that one to release behind me. Nope! Which leads to...

2) The Valley of the Burrs. Having to approach the fishable spots with stealth, had to bushwhack a lot and I've never seen so many burr plants, whatever they're called. Would get on my arms and then as I remove them they'd stick to my glove and then the other glove as I'd pull them off the first glove and on and on... Wanted to torch the whole %^$#ing valley after a couple hours of this.

3) Frozen eyelets and reels. Ended up with a couple of rat's nests and had two reels stop working altogether. Luckily I always have 5 setups with me (in the car).

4) Otters. Lots of otters. And why do they always try to swim away from you upstream? Even when they are downstream when they first see you. I even ran to try and get ahead of a couple and turn them from a spot I wanted to fish and also casted upstream of them before they got to the "good" spot that I wanted to hit. Of course the trout were having none of that.

All in all, I'll take it although frustrations are easier to take when the bite is on.

Was nice to get out and saw some interesting and beautiful winter sights that can obviously only be seen at this time of year.

Staying home today though.

Edited by user Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:30:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#340 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:51:47 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

UserPostedImage

"Yes... I'm taking your picture!" crazy person says to startled miniature trout. "I worked too damn hard to get you."

Had a small window to fish yesterday afternoon and drove to a small stream south of me that I was sure would be open to find it iced up at both bridge crossings that I checked.

Being where I was and with only a couple of hours, my options for open water were very limited within 10 or 15 miles.

Hit a couple of even smaller streams that I was really, really sure would be open. They were but both were 6-12 inches shallower than normal.

Scuffled (badly) to a few small browns as there were no holes to be found where they could be stacked up.

Was pretty though...

UserPostedImage

I was spoiled rotten last fall.

It's probably good for me to get a reality check.

Is it February yet?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:58:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified