Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

17 Pages«<151617
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#161 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:20:51 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Eddie.

I've given up trying to stack deer hair and sculpting it with a razor blade to form a head. It's just too difficult and messy. I'm searching for the right consistency of dubbing material to use in place of the stacked hair. Something stiff enough to push water, but pliable enough to be stacked and formed...

-Bill

Yeah, deer hair makes a mess. Love it though.

For dubbing, try Bruiser Blend from Fly Fish Food. Created for streamers specifically, and it's really nice to tie with. They also make a Junior version with shorter fibers for smaller streamers. Some awesome colors too. I got some to try, and will definitely be getting more next time I order from them.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#162 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2018 3:13:29 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post

For dubbing, try Bruiser Blend from Fly Fish Food. Created for streamers specifically, and it's really nice to tie with.

Thanks!

Dubbing, good grief. I used to keep all mine in zip lock bag. Then a small plastic tote. Now it fills up a basket. I've got enough to stuff a mattress. Maybe I should start tying Musky flies to burn some of that extra stuff up?

RollEyes

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
aaron14  
#163 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:45:27 PM(UTC)
aaron14

Man

Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post

For dubbing, try Bruiser Blend from Fly Fish Food. Created for streamers specifically, and it's really nice to tie with. They also make a Junior version with shorter fibers for smaller streamers. Some awesome colors too. I got some to try, and will definitely be getting more next time I order from them.

Bruiser Blend is awesome stuff. Instead of stacking, like to put it in a dubbing loop to form a head around dumbbell eyes. Make a couple wraps behind, figure-8 it around the eyes once, then a couple wraps in front. Then I brush it all out and back. Seems to make a more full and even head than stacking it, and easier IMO.
William Schlafer  
#164 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:02:14 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Back on the tying bench this weekend.

My Driftless Area spies are telling me that small dark Sculpin / Leech patterns are scoring well this early season. I picked up some black, olive, tan and grey bunny strips and tied them on size 4 B10s Stinger hooks. The small ones are about 2 inches in length, the longer ones are around 3 inches. I added some lead wire to give them a bit of heft and allow them to get down in the current. The collars are wrapped with cross-cut bunny strips. I like how the orange rubber legs contrast with the olive.
UserPostedImage

I also experimented with tying some using Flymen Clear Fish Masks. I like the finished look of these heads and they greatly simplify construction. A slightly larger version using a dumbbell head with dubbing wrapped around the head is on the bottom. Can't wait to see how the clear mask versions fish in comparison to the dumbbell head.
UserPostedImage

I really like the way the materials colors come through the clear fish masks, and the 3-D quality of the inset eyes. I need to get some UV glue and a flashlight to use with these. The harder UV glue would do a better job than the messier Zap A Gap.
UserPostedImage

I also tied up some of my version of Gunner Brammer's Trout Nugget XL Streamer. This articulated pattern is a bit more difficult and you need to be disciplined to not crowd the hook eye and to place the materials correctly on the hook to the make the pattern work. His look much better than mine.
UserPostedImage

Maybe if the weather warms up a bit next week I'll have a chance to get out and give these a try.

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:05:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos