Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jgmorton  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:24:51 PM(UTC)
jgmorton

United States

I am looking for someone who can help me to source and put guides on several old rods I would like to keep... Miner repairs. I'm in Verona and would like to fix them up for my mancave display. They were fished by my grandfather and great grand father. Anybody know someone that can help me?
Sponsor
Guillermo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:52:55 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jgmorton Go to Quoted Post
I am looking for someone who can help me to source and put guides on several old rods I would like to keep... Miner repairs. I'm in Verona and would like to fix them up for my mancave display. They were fished by my grandfather and great grand father. Anybody know someone that can help me?

You would probably do well to check out the forums FiberglassFlyRodders and ClassicFlyRodForum. There is a ton of knowledge in both communities.
Jimbern  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:23:05 PM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

Not sure this is the answer you're looking for.

Rebuilding old rods is tedious and exacting work, and my guess is you'll find the cost—in cash— too high for some old "wall-hangers." That said, this is a good opportunity to try your hand a a new, and satisfying fishing-related skill. Tons of instructional resources are available on YouTube for doing this yourself and the basic equipment can be built at little cost. If you've tied flies, you can rebuild a rod. Try it.

kinni  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:35:42 PM(UTC)
kinni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I agree. If it's only to hang on the wall, you can do it yourself. I built a rod, with a bit of guidance, a number of years ago. It's not that hard and there's some great tutorials and tips out on YouTube and through all kinds of Google searches.
MN Mountain Man  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 12:55:33 AM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I agree completely with Jimbern. I build and repair rods and repairs cost more than their worth unless repairs are very minimal. Plus then you can put your own mark on those family heirlooms. Give it a try, it's not too hard.

Quote:
If you've tied flies, you can rebuild a rod.