Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
timberland  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:13:20 PM(UTC)
timberland
Rank: Midge

Joined: 3/24/2015(UTC)
Posts: 42
Location: NW WI

Been a long time since I posted. Doing a corporate trip this spring and would like to target big brookies. Sutton might be out of my price range but was looking at the Albany river or the Ogoki? or maybe the Esnagami? or Dusey?
anybody out there have any experience on any of these waters?

Nipigon isn't my flavor, to big and too much pressure.
Looking for wadeable water.
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:30:45 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,342
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: timberland Go to Quoted Post
Been a long time since I posted. Doing a corporate trip this spring and would like to target big brookies. Sutton might be out of my price range but was looking at the Albany river or the Ogoki? or maybe the Esnagami? or Dusey?
anybody out there have any experience on any of these waters?

Nipigon isn't my flavor, to big and too much pressure.
Looking for wadeable water.


I’ve read up quite a bit on this. The Ogoki is supposed to be appreciably cooler than the Albany, so fish are easier to locate. God’s River in Manitoba is still first class. The Albany has monsters but if you don’t go early you might not be able to find active fish. Opichuan is wadeable and has big boys. That said, there are 20” Brook Trout around the Nipigon on wadeable waters. I’ve landed them up to 19-20”, didn’t get a measurement on my biggest but he was definitely bigger than my verified 18.25 from last summer. The Coasters are hanging around all year.
If you want to fish a lake and do some wading as well, Fortress Lake has scary sized fish, 26+. It’s in BC and I believe it’s around 2k a week. Kwagama Lake Lodge near Wawa has monsters, with plenty of prime wadeable stuff in the area like the Agawa, where I’ve found 17” fish. That’s about $1400 a week and includes food and a boat.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
moosekid on 3/8/2018(UTC)
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 1:09:50 PM(UTC)
rschmidt
Rank: May Fly

Joined: 1/16/2015(UTC)
Posts: 460
Location: West WI

Thanks: 15 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Sutton River downstream of Hudson Bay looks legendary. They arm your canoe with a shotgun for polar bear prevention. 20+++ brookies are abundant. There is video out there on YouTube. Week long camp and float. On the bucket list. R
timberland  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 3:07:37 PM(UTC)
timberland
Rank: Midge

Joined: 3/24/2015(UTC)
Posts: 42
Location: NW WI

Just got word that God's river and Sutton are within our price range!!

Looks like the God's is a lot of water compared to the Sutton. Thoughts?
Zugbug  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 10:42:09 PM(UTC)
Zugbug
Rank: Midge

Joined: 1/23/2015(UTC)
Posts: 73
Location: Madison, wi

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I fished God's River many years ago. My recollection is that it's quite large.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 1:10:19 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,342
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: timberland Go to Quoted Post
Just got word that God's river and Sutton are within our price range!!

Looks like the God's is a lot of water compared to the Sutton. Thoughts?


God’s River and Lake is excellent for Walleye, Pike, Lakers and Brookies. That said, the Sutton is at another level if you just want Brookies, no question. Probably the highest average size in the world.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
hiknmike  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 4:47:26 PM(UTC)
hiknmike
Rank: Midge

Joined: 3/19/2018(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States
Location: Twin Cities

I made an account just to chime in and say I floated the Sutton two summers ago. I was everything they say. Mouse and streamers for 20" brookies. Incredible. Saw bear and caribou from the canoe. Very easy float and the fishing was easy even though we had no guide.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:19:28 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,342
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hiknmike Go to Quoted Post
I made an account just to chime in and say I floated the Sutton two summers ago. I was everything they say. Mouse and streamers for 20" brookies. Incredible. Saw bear and caribou from the canoe. Very easy float and the fishing was easy even though we had no guide.


I thought you were legally required to have a guide?
Welcome to the forum. Stick around, we don’t bite
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/19/2018(UTC)
s.t.fanatic  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 8:22:51 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 3/24/2010(UTC)
Posts: 676
Location: Altura

Thanks: 40 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I've fished a few different lakes in the Winisk River system for warm water species but never for trout. They do have a trout trip also that we wanted to go on but it never happened. If I had my choice though id try to hit the Ashewig River. It eventually flows into the Winisk River so essentially both rivers hold the same fish.
NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 8:34:53 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,342
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
I've fished a few different lakes in the Winisk River system for warm water species but never for trout. They do have a trout trip also that we wanted to go on but it never happened. If I had my choice though id try to hit the Ashewig River. It eventually flows into the Winisk River so essentially both rivers hold the same fish.


Asheweig is another good one, absolutely!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2018, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 1.950 seconds.