Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HookJaw  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 7:28:54 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I'd like to hear from anyone who owns/regularly uses a pedal-driven fishing kayak -- what make/model/size do you have and whether or not you're happy with it...

Canoecopia was last weekend and my mind was absolutely blown.

I have been fishing out of a cheap, lower-back-killing piece of crap kayak for two years now (Sundolphin 10') and my wife is sick of hearing me bitch about it.
So sick, in fact, that she let me put money down on a new one -- a Native Titan Propel 10.5' -- brand new model for 2018. I have 2 months to change my mind...

Here she is:
https://nativewatercraft...oduct/titan-propel-10-5/

Edited by user Monday, March 12, 2018 9:57:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
thanks 1 user thanked HookJaw for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 3/13/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:31:58 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hookjaw, Were you able to test peddle your new yak at the show? What color are you getting? Please say Lizard Lick Green.
HookJaw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:22:36 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post
Hookjaw, Were you able to test peddle your new yak at the show? What color are you getting? Please say Lizard Lick Green.

Not able to test drive... Sold through Rutabaga in Madison - they notify you when the ice melts & I will test drive it then. Cool deal -- you do a down payment and that locks in the Canoecopia sale price. The payment is 100% refundable, so I can walk away with this one...or a different one...or none at all...

So sorry to disappoint you. Color = Hidden Oak

big_river_bum  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:05:00 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I know nothing of kayaks

is the prop retractable? or are you limited to water depth of the prop drop length?

HookJaw  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:13:38 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Prop can be rotated up completely to rest between your feet. Need 18" of water to be safe. Not a boat for small, scrapey rivers.
trapper  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 4:59:13 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Lifetime Angler 120
Get Reel
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 12:15:09 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HookJaw Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post

Not able to test drive... Sold through Rutabaga in Madison - they notify you when the ice melts & I will test drive it then. Cool deal -- you do a down payment and that locks in the Canoecopia sale price. The payment is 100% refundable, so I can walk away with this one...or a different one...or none at all...

So sorry to disappoint you. Color = Hidden Oak

I went through the same process two years ago and ended up with a Pungo 120. I tried a couple more including a SOT and kept the Pungo.

Pungo's a good boat albeit pricey but the seat is worth it. It's not a 'fishing' yak but it fits my needs perfectly and I can tuck my fly rod to the side between the rim and my hip so it's laid out flat behind me while I paddle. The pedaled boats look cool but that'd be too much to keep track of for me. Just a good paddle, fly rod and a dry bag full of things and I'm pretty well set.

Rutabaga rules. The first boat I got had something wrong with the foot pegs, and I took it in, and they just swapped it out no problem.
HookJaw  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:15:51 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
I know nothing of kayaks

is the prop retractable? or are you limited to water depth of the prop drop length?

BRBum -- What do you about this kayak for duck hunting? No trailer needed. You could hunt the backwaters of Ol' Muddy and room for the Lab on the back deck. The prop is not weed-friendly (drawback), but the good thing is that with a pedal-kayak, you can always paddle it too (advantage). Shooting from it would take some practice, but the boat is so much more stable than a typical kayak (37.5 inches wide) ??

Edited by user Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:16:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

big_river_bum  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:28:45 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: HookJaw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
I know nothing of kayaks

BRBum -- What do you about this kayak for duck hunting? No trailer needed. You could hunt the backwaters of Ol' Muddy and room for the Lab on the back deck. The prop is not weed-friendly (drawback), but the good thing is that with a pedal-kayak, you can always paddle it too (advantage). Shooting from it would take some practice, but the boat is so much more stable than a typical kayak (37.5 inches wide) ??

I think it'd be great for early season wood duck hunting. you could even hunt it on the lower Kickapoo. guys will quietly float downstream and shoot jumped birds as they go. I wouldn't want to use it after October just from the risk of capsizing, but even then you could use it if you were careful about where you took it

I watched a group of guys across from me late last November. they used a kayak to retrieve downed birds(we were diver hunting). when they left 3 of them had to stand up in the 12' boat among all the decoys and one guy was towed behind in their kayak. they proceeded to drive all the way across the pool 9 lake back to ferryville. thank god it was calm as shit. that was the dumbed thing I ever saw

you could always just hunt with me Flapper
big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:30:08 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

I could link you some camouflage ideas for it that I've found online.