Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:56:40 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
thanks 1 user thanked WI-fly for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 3/13/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:07:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Good to see money is being made available for restoration projects in the DA.

Several big projects I looked at in Vernon county last summer seemed to indicate a shift in thinking regarding how these projects are done. The work was more designed around erosion control and limiting flood damage, such as stream bank armoring and removal of collapsing banks. More trees are being left at or near the stream bank, and hardwood trees are being planted nearby. Also good to see the removal of invasive species and limiting Beaver proliferation.

I would be nice to see a little bit of that money spent on creating access to existing stream bank easements. It's surprising the number of streams in the DA that have paid easements, but no (legal) access those parts of the stream.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
HookJaw on 3/13/2018(UTC)
WI-fly  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:51:30 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I don't know all the details about how the easements work. A lot of this money comes from NRCS, so I think it has to be spent on the actual erosion control portions of the project. I believe the easement is granted by the landowner or purchased by the DNR. For many of these projects, the NRCS money will pay about 75% of the cost and then the rest is up to the landowner. TUDARE helps out with that other 25% by reaching out to TU chapters and other conservation groups (rod and gun clubs) to take care of as much of that landowner portion as possible. In exchange for that help, the landowner is asked to give access through an easement.

I'm sure it is a lot more complicated than that, but this is my simple caveman lawyer's understanding of it.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
thanks 1 user thanked WI-fly for this useful post.
HookJaw on 3/13/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:22:00 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
The funny thing about stream bank easement programs are that not all of them are published, or even shown on WDNR or county websites. There are also county forest and nature preserves with Trout streams on them that are open to fishing, and aren't shown on most maps.

I guess there are reasons for this, with money coming from various sources with different agendas. But it would be nice if someone would put out a comprehensive listing or map of all public lands and legal accesses. Seems like a waste to spend money on public easements and not let anyone know about it.

I hope to get more involved with TUDARE and similar organizations as I make my slow free-fall into retirement. I enjoyed the work I've done in the past with TU Aldo Leopold on the Bear Creek project. It's great to see people putting something back into the resource.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos