Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

20 Pages«<17181920>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SquareEgg  
#181 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:23:59 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Size 10 buggers are the closest I've ever been to tying wet flies!

UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#182 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:44:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SquareEgg Go to Quoted Post
I like the collar on those squirrel streamers. What is the material? Emerger yarn?

Sculpting Fiber in Redfish color.

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, February 17, 2018 9:56:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: edit text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
OTC_MN  
#183 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 1:56:28 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Finally got the jig box filled up.

On to...something else

Jigs
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 2 users thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
EddieRivard on 2/19/2018(UTC), William Schlafer on 2/19/2018(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#184 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 2:13:38 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Attempted to tie some soft hackle flies this weekend. I picked up some Partridge hackle at my local fly shop. Bought the only two packages they had on the rack: some light Grizzly and Olive. Despite the bags being fairly large (8" x 4") after sorting I found that only a portion of of the Grizzly feathers were usable, and none of the Olive. There were also just a few feathers in the bag of the right size.

This photo illustrates the issue:
UserPostedImage

The top feather is the preferred shape and consistency to give a good hackle wrap. The bottom feather is mostly fluffy loose fibers that won't palmer very well. Most of the feathers in the bag were this type. However, these could make for good Marabou type tails for streamers - so not a total loss. After doing a bit of research on the interweb on the subject, I ordered some Partridge capes that I think will produce more usable feathers for soft hackle patterns.

For soft hackles, you're so much better off buying a skin than loose feathers. I bought a bag of olive partridge a while back, and I think I threw away all but about 20 feathers. The rest of the bag was junk.

Partridge is just awesome, and you get an eternity's worth of feathers off a good skin. The Whiting 4Bs are pretty nice too. The Whiting Coq de Leon soft hackles are *really* nice...
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 2/19/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#185 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 2:29:44 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post

For soft hackles, you're so much better off buying a skin than loose feathers. I bought a bag of olive partridge a while back, and I think I threw away all but about 20 feathers. The rest of the bag was junk.

That's been my experience too. The only good thing about the bagged stuff is it's relatively cheap. I've figured out a few tricks to use the junky stuff for other purposes, so it's not a total waste.

The Feather Emporium has really good high quality feathers for fly tying. A local company too (Madison, I think). I plan to order a couple of full skins once I use up all my bagged stuff.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#186 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 5:45:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Back on the tying bench this weekend. Tied up some more soft hackle patterns, some Stone Flies and a couple articulated streamers.
UserPostedImage

This is a Pat's Plus Stonefly Nymph. An easy to tie pattern in size 10. I might try tying some of these in a smaller size if I can find a proper 3X long size 12 hook.
UserPostedImage

Here's my attempt at a Sulpher Soft Hackle fly in size 14. I love the yellow dubbing with the Wood Duck color thread. I have a feeling those one will be productive this spring.
UserPostedImage

Next up is a Holy Grail Caddis Emerger. This soft hackle pattern looks simple, but turned out to be a bit tricky to tie. Pheasant Tail fibers pulled over a bead head are used to form the thorax. A drop or two of UV resin ties everything together and gives it that transparent look of an emerging fly. Leaving just the right amount of space behind the hook eye is the critical thing with this fly. Wrap the thread back too far against the bead and the hackle won't Palmer correctly.
UserPostedImage

After squinting at all those small soft hackle flies, I decided to give my eyes a break and tie a nice big streamer. Here's my version of Kelly Galloups Silk Kitty streamer. I tied one of these with Senyo's Ice Dubbing, and another using Rams Hair. Both work well, although I think it's easier to form the head with the Ice Dub, and is a bit more forgiving. #4 Gamakatsu B10S for the trailer, and a #2 in the front. Lots of materials on this pattern and placing them correctly on the hooks is a bit of a challenge. But like most streamers it's easy to remove materials and start over if things don't work out. They should have lots of movement in the water.
UserPostedImage

Now, all I needs is some time off to go fishing!

-Bill
bokepid  
#187 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 7:16:19 AM(UTC)

terima kasih banyak
weiliwen  
#188 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:26:03 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
In case you were wondering, this means "Thank you very much" in Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#189 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:31:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
In case you were wondering, this means "Thank you very much" in Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia.

Interesting. DTA is going international!

Is there any Trout fishing in Indonesia?

-Bill
William Schlafer  
#190 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 10:00:28 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Has anyone ever tied one of these?

Itty Meaty Thing Leech
UserPostedImage

Trying to figure out what to use for hackle materials. I tried using Schlappen, but it didn't look like this. In the picture it almost looks like soft hackle, but the fly is tied on a size 1 hook. Not sure if you can even get soft hackle that size.

Anyone have a recipe for this pattern?

-Bill