Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 1:29:26 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
It's generally a rule of thumb in the earliest part of the winter season that once the water temp drops the fish shut off (although not always).

Is this also the case once mid-March/daylight savings gets here, or does more sunlight equal to water temps staying warmer longer in the day and fish being active as well?

I'd like to get out after work some time and haven't been able to do that for a few years so want to make sure the drive is worth it.

Of course, I can always just go check for myself. :)

Thanks.
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 1:53:35 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I've been catching fish after work all year so far. Some of my biggest and best fish have been after 4:00 - including in January.

In my anecdotal experience, melt has been the primary culprit of fish shutting down.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
tendimes98  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 2:21:50 AM(UTC)
tendimes98

Man

I spent the last week out fishing the streams. My dad and I were consistently on the water from 8 in the morning until dark, and caught fish at all hours of the day. The sun did help the bite, but fish were still hungry regardless.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 2:08:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
The big factor in all seasons is the sun warming the stream bed enough to get the bug hatch moving. Water temp is important in Trout activity (as they're cold blooded) but it's a bloom in the biomass that you want to look for. This is why you'll find Trout in fairly shallow water in the late mornings, they move up out of the pools into the riffles to snatch bugs coming up from under the rocks. When you see bugs popping off, run a small bead head through the riffles and you will catch Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
weiliwen on 3/21/2018(UTC)
madguy30  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:28:17 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Thanks for the responses.

Decided to go see for myself yesterday.

I caught a few fish here and there but really didn't see much after 4:30.

Northeast wind didn't help, and it doesn't help that I hate doing much of anything in a strong NE or E wind.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:37:04 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Caught my first trout last night right at 5:00 and my last one right around 6:00.

I was out of stream at that point and hungry and sick of that gale, so went home rather than going to another section.

I saw no sign of the bite changing though and the action was steady if not overwhelming.

Friday, I got my first fish at 3:20 and last one at 6:36.

By the end, things were definitely slowing down, but I was also in a lesser section of water by that point.

Action was steady throughout.

I'm sure it depends in large part which stream one is on.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:44:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madguy30  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:48:51 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Caught my first trout last night right at 5:00 and my last one right around 6:00.

I was out of stream at that point and hungry and sick of that gale, so went home rather than going to another section.

I saw no sign of the bite changing though and the action was steady if not overwhelming.

Friday, I got my first fish at 3:20 and last one at 6:36.

By the end, things were definitely slowing down, but I was also in a lesser section of water by that point.

Action was steady throughout.

I'm sure it depends in large part which stream one is on.

Cool! Without naming names, the stream I was on can be hard to fish due to muck/tough wading, and can be hit or miss. I was only out for an hour too...again, the wind. I also screwed my leader section lengths which led to some frustrations and didn't help much.

Guess I'll have to just keep heading out to see how it goes. :)

*It WAS nice to not have to bundle up just to fish.
Gurth  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:07:03 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I think another factor is that I've been targeting large fish over the past week or so. Been on lower parts of streams and bigger, deeper water with no riffles or even rocks.

These aren't bug sippers that I've been catching which could be why they are active from 7am to 7pm.

Sunday for instance, was out all day and there were midges everywhere and I didn't see a single rise.

My friend was using an articulated streamer that was a good shad or maybe leech imitation and I have been using size 9 PMs, black body, gold blade.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:45:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified