Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

20 Pages«<181920
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#191 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:06:33 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Bill, I wonder if that might be CdL soft hackle, like used in that Soft Hackle Streamer video you posted a while back?

Hmm, maybe not. I just checked the Whiting site and they don't offer the Coq de Leon Soft Hackle + Chicabou in black. I wonder why not, seems like a good choice.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:08:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
DanE  
#192 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 9:10:36 PM(UTC)
DanE

Bill, looks like maribou to me. I tie one very similar to that but even simpler. Jig hook and barbell head like a frick's fix, zonker strip and maribou at the top. Works great and is a quick, easy tie.
William Schlafer  
#193 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 11:43:13 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DanE Go to Quoted Post
Bill, looks like maribou to me. I tie one very similar to that but even simpler. Jig hook and barbell head like a frick's fix, zonker strip and maribou at the top. Works great and is a quick, easy tie.

That's what I ended up using but wasn't happy with the result. Seemed like something that was a little stiffer would work better. Still on the hunt to find the right material. I need to get up to the Driftless Angler show and buy a couple to use for reference. It's possible they may know who came up with that pattern and I might be able to wring out a recipe for it. I really like these small leech style streamers.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#194 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:58:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DanE Go to Quoted Post

That's what I ended up using but wasn't happy with the result. Seemed like something that was a little stiffer would work better. Still on the hunt to find the right material. I need to get up to the Driftless Angler show and buy a couple to use for reference. It's possible they may know who came up with that pattern and I might be able to wring out a recipe for it. I really like these small leech style streamers.

-Bill

I asked the experts at the fly shop today, and they said it was probably this:
UserPostedImage

The feathers have a nice thin flexible shaft to allow for easier Palmering. Solid black was sold out, but I'm sure this Grizzly color will work fine.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#195 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 5:17:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Stuck inside today due to the gnarly weather, so I decided to try tying some flies.

These messy looking things are supposed to SBR Hendrickson Nymphs. Size 14 hook with Lemon Duck feathers for the wings and tail. I didn't have the right size bead head available - a smaller one would be more proportional to the body. These were made with 5-6 wraps of lead wire on the hook, so along with the large bead head they should get right to the bottom.

UserPostedImage

We'll see how they fish when I next get out in a couple weeks.

-Bill
OTC_MN  
#196 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:17:54 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hah - I just tied up a few of those too. They look good.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
weiliwen  
#197 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:03:12 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
But Bill, those larger beads will get the nymph down in the water column farther and faster, not a bad thing. Nicely tied, as usual from you.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"