Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 4:46:10 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
FYI this was turned on. Google says this will take a day or two. I don't know how much revenue it would generate but the idea is for the board to pay for itself. The new cloud based Azure hosting is costing $15/month. It is not a fixed rate either. The more bandwidth, the more I pay and I know trout season is upon us, I would expect this board to get busier.

For the regulars you will notice I'm not on here often. Maybe that will change. Keep me invited to the Conclaves. I usually make the western WI one at the least.

Thanks for your support for those that contributed to what we raised for Tony to pay for the migration of the board to the new platform. If the ads will help pay a little for the board. I think I can control what kinds or block stuff. New things to learn. If not we will have a once a year fundraiser.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 5:14:07 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Hey Mark. Good to see you back on the board again!

I think a few non nondescript ads are fine if it helps offset the cost to admin this site. Just as long as they're not that annoying click bait stuff. Nothing turns me off quicker than those stupid ads that start with: "One weird trick to..." or "You won't believe what she does next!!! Ugh.

I don't think it would be out of line either to ask for contributions from the board members. A buck or two once a year from everyone should be plenty to cover costs and compensate you for your time and efforts. Nothing is free in this world.

Thanks Mark for keeping this forum up and running. It's one of the best resources for DA Trout fishing on the web, and thankfully free of a lot of the crap and drama on other sites.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 5:22:30 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Agree with Bill.

Also... I'd think that obvious advertisers could be contacted directly and might want to put their ads here.

Certainly Orvis and maybe TU, St. Croix, etc...

If I was in charge of a local operation I would have my ads on here for sure. Can think of one in Viroqua that might be/should be interested.

It's entirely possible that the bigger ones' ads will be served here anyway based upon keywords that are used herein.

Edited by user Monday, April 2, 2018 5:23:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
mbchilton  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:37:24 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Mark, I would think picking up 2-3 relevant businesses to advertise here would get you further than AdWords.
madguy30  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:06:03 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Agree with Bill.

Also... I'd think that obvious advertisers could be contacted directly and might want to put their ads here.

Certainly Orvis and maybe TU, St. Croix, etc...

If I was in charge of a local operation I would have my ads on here for sure. Can think of one in Viroqua that might be/should be interested.

It's entirely possible that the bigger ones' ads will be served here anyway based upon keywords that are used herein.

Badger Tenkara too.
Mark Dahlquist  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:59:02 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Quote:
Mark, I would think picking up 2-3 relevant businesses to advertise here would get you further than AdWords.

I can ask my buddy Tony about that. I assume code is code. I will try Adsense and see how it goes. The site costs around $15/month for hosting then the domain I pay up every two years.

FYI I got a Gator G3 16'5" tunnel hull fishing boat with a Yamaha 60/40 jet drive. Looking to hit up rivers more and the mouths of trout streams. Will be looking for folks who want to meet up and fish. Show me your medium sized rivers with trout, smallies, walleye, catfish. It can plane in 2" of water. The foot of the jet drive is above the bottom of the boat so we can potentially even skip over sand bars and logs if need be.

Rivers in mind so far

Upper St. Croix
Cannon
Zumbro
Red Cedar
Chippewa
Lower end of the Root (Houston, MN)

Pretty sure the choices are endless. The boat came from the Ozarks so designed for trout country.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage