Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:18:25 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Delicate question to ask here... What do you wear under your waders? This question invites all sorts of responses, so I'm ready for the humor. But seriously, what type of layering do you like under your waders in the chilly and then warm seasons? I would prefer to wear the layers that I enjoy for downhill ski season, but a husky dude like me isn't quite comfortable walking into the Coon Valley Kwik Trip in tight thermal pants as I stock up on snacks for time on Timber.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Sponsor
mbchilton  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 9:48:44 PM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Redington fleece under waders. Long underwear in a technical fabric under those if it’s really cold. If it’s warm, gym shorts or just underwear. If it’s really warm, I’m wet wading.
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 3:30:49 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Light weight stocking foot waders and Heavy weight lug waders - LaCrosse Brush toughs. - Sport boxers (no crotch chaffing), basic long john bottoms, gym shorts, over knee wade socks, PCL knee brace (cycle accident injury)

I always prefer waders even when warm. Keeps tics, buck thorn, parsnip and other biting bugs to a minimum.

R
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 3:13:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I wear a pair of lightweight nylon pants from REI. . If it's cold, a pair of lightweight polypropylene long johns underneath. I almost never go out if the temp is below freezing, so that lineup works well.

During the warmer months the lightweight nylon pants dry quickly and are passable to wear around in public. Only downside is the hip waders I use are a funnel for bugs and dirt and weed debris, so I typically fold down the waders to my ankles during the walk back to the car to dry out and shake out anything that dropped in.

I wear heavy weight wool socks year round (Fox River Norwegian) which might seem crazy during the warm months, but you would be surprised how cool and dry wool is in the summer. And compared to cotton, wool dries quicker and is less likely to get funky smelling. I tuck the nylon pants into the socks before I pull on the waders and that keeps everything tidy and comfortable under the waders and boots.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 5:16:55 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
When it's cold-ish, I wear Underarmor long johns, and a pair of light fleece pants. I got some Simms wader pants on sale a while back and they're great.

When it's really cold, I have a pair of Drake Waterfowl insulated wader pants I have for duck hunting I wear instead of the fleece pants.

During the summer it's usually just a light pair of hiking pants with zip-off legs.

Feet are harder to keep warm than legs usually.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 5:22:20 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Typically base layer long underwear, gym shorts for my keys, and jogging pants. Then base layer or two and thicker long armed shirt, possibly hoody.

Feet: usually thin sock, toe warmers, and wool socks on top of that. If my feet get cold with that, I shouldn't be fishing, which was the case this past Saturday!

I really should just get full neoprene waders since I only wear them in spring and late fall.

Once May hits it's wet wading through September at least although this year may be an exception.
weiliwen  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 5:52:56 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Jeans 12 months of the year. I have two velcro straps that I took from some fly line I bought that I wrap around my ankles to keep them from riding up my legs when I put my waders on. I just don't spend that much time waist-deep in the water to need any insulation.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 6:05:29 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
but a husky dude like me isn't quite comfortable walking into the Coon Valley Kwik Trip in tight thermal pants as I stock up on snacks for time on Timber.

As a fellow husky dude, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The dad bod is in, you might score some digits...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 7:09:39 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
but a husky dude like me isn't quite comfortable walking into the Coon Valley Kwik Trip in tight thermal pants as I stock up on snacks for time on Timber.

As a fellow husky dude, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The dad bod is in, you might score some digits...

I have a friend who used to brag to chicks in bars (with a straight face) that he was a Carhartt model for Fleet Farm. He would then hook his thumbs in his belt loops, lean back on his hips and put his best "come hither" look on. Hilarious.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 11:20:13 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

My wife said I'm not allowed to score any digits.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram