Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

60 Pages«<4748495051>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#481 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:26:46 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I was out today and found some fairly clear water. All browns 6 to 14". 17 fish. When(if) melt does come we will be shut down for a few days around here. R
rschmidt  
#482 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:00:23 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Winter Trout Fishing!

UserPostedImage
The snow was sticking. SUprisingly, they water was pretty good.

Best three of the day.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Gurth  
#483 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 5:18:40 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Got out after work and water is up a good foot over where it was 10 days ago but was fishable and had maybe 2 feet of vis.

Only got a couple of average browns, but was fishing a stretch that usually is pretty slow...

UserPostedImage

Highlight was learning that my dog can actually swim.

I assumed (hoped) he could swim - has webbed toes thanks to some Plott hound in him - but had never seen it.

So I'm fishing a corner and the dog is somewhere behind me and I hear a Ka-PLOSH!

Turn around and all I can see is his head and his frantic/manic paddling. The stream I was on is uniformly 2 feet deep at least with 3-6 foot trenches and corner holes.

He couldn't touch the bottom and I was just about to put my phone and key down in case I had to go in and get him, but he made it back to the bank.

I'm glad as I only had boots on - no waders.

He had the zoomies big time when he got out - obviously startled himself. It's entirely possible that he had never swam before.

Here's a wet dog...

UserPostedImage

Smile

And to the fisherman I spoke to tonight (coz I know you lurk here), I addressed the item we discussed. Wink
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#484 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:27:17 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Got in one day of fishing before the melt put the whip on.

Shebs was first with a 23" steel head.

UserPostedImage[/url]

The water was stained to start and got progressively worse throughout the day with temps in the 50s and heavy sunshine. Wading today was a chore with more than 2 feet of snow in some places.

I caught a couple small browns before coming across this silver skinny 21.5" lake run brown.

UserPostedImage

Sasquatch picked up his first fish of the season as well.

I had just climbed down from the bank into the river and was asked "How are you gonna get out". I replied "Well, first I am gonna catch a steel head and I will take care of it afterward." Hahaha and BAM!

UserPostedImage

A 25+" steelie that was a bit of a challenge until Sasquatch unhooked my net and went in after it!

Was hoping for a legal one today, but this was a big fat hen near 5-6 pounds.

As we continued nature presented herself!

UserPostedImage

Now as you think, aw such cute bears, I was crapping my waders thinking where is the sow! The cubs made no cries and I was happy. We quickly slithered out of there thankful no mauling occurred.

I was happy to be out with Squatch and Shebs, good times!

Happy Fishing!

Edited by user Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:32:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#485 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 12:49:56 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Didn't want to go all the way to Grant or northwest of the Wisco due to potential melt killing my vibe so took the opportunity to force myself to explore more of the tweener streams between my home streams and my preferred destinations

All those yellow streams on the map between here and there. Hard to believe that there are still places less than 45 minutes form my house that I haven't seen. Of course when I do go to them they usually range from sucktacular to almost meh, so there hasn't been a lot of motivation.

No bears, but did see my first two bull snakes of the season.

Mixed results overall, but can check a couple places off the list and maybe add one to the queue for return trips.

Water in Dane County and just beyond remains low-ish and gin on smaller streams. We need more rain to make those more productive.

Saturday afternoon was spent finishing up an unclassified stretch that holds trout and has deep dark corner pools that I keep hoping will yield a beast. Only got a couple of 14-16 inchers.

UserPostedImage

Also... just about jumped out of my skin when a goose that I was unaware of flew off her nest... about 10 feet behind me.

UserPostedImage

I had been fishing the hole there for a minute or two and had no clue she was right behind me. Laugh

Glad she didn't hamstring me like they are known to do when provoked.

Sunday morning started at a couple small streams with "fishable" populations of browns. Should have known better based on that DNR assessment – super shallow with limited flow and a rocky substrate and one 8 inch brown.

UserPostedImage

Left after 45 minutes.

Next river starts high in the valley as a gin small stream with nice bends and corner holes and riffles>runs>pools. Got 5 but most of the nice looking spots were quiet. Water was gin though and full sun.

UserPostedImage

Went downstream looking for bigger and dirtier water and ended up in a marsh section. Found the dirty water! Had to work for them, but managed 6 decent browns and a brood bow – almost all of which were caught on upstream retrieves, which is unusual for me.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

They simply would not strike on a downstream and then in the same spots, would hit the upstream retrieve. Once again on the orange PM - gotta pick up some more of those.

This one below was the exception as there was a drop just past those branches and after a few casts I was getting peeved coz it was one of the only obvious trout lies that I had seen and I knew there was a fish there. Finally got it with and across stream retrieve just on and over the the drop.

UserPostedImage

Not too bad though – a baker's dozen and back home in time for lunch.

And despite it being a brood, I still get a charge out of seeing that red/pink stripe on the strike. I guess just because it's something different and I also hope that it will turn out to be a stocker that grew up. This one was a brood although not an ugly one like we often see and her fins were intact.

She dropped some roe as I was unhooking her.

I said that I wouldn't post a brood. I should have said I wouldn't post a brood without acknowledging/admitting what it is or try to pass it off as some sort of trophy. Here she is...

UserPostedImage

I thought she was quite lovely. Smile

Edited by user Monday, April 23, 2018 6:07:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 4/23/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#486 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 6:20:40 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post

I caught a couple small browns before coming across this silver skinny 21.5" lake run brown.

UserPostedImage

So lake runs can look like this with the brown top and silver sides?

That's really cool.

Need to see me one of those someday.

Edited by user Monday, April 23, 2018 6:21:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#487 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 7:37:26 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I'm not totally sure what that fish was. Was either a spawned out lake runner who didn't go back to the lake last fall, or a weird looking skinny resident. Impossible to know for sure.

Edited by user Monday, April 23, 2018 7:37:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#488 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 7:57:12 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Nice job guys!
I got the trifecta on Saturday, hoped like hell for a Tiger but it was not to be. Water looked great on the trickle I was fishing. That said, the Willow looked like hell yesterday, it’s gonna be a good bit before the big northern stuff is in decent shape.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
big_river_bum  
#489 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:57:56 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
sunday i snuck out a a few hours midday. ran into some of the O-Pros guys. i've fished this stream a hundred times and was just commenting to them about how i've never caught a brookie on it. i've fished 90% of it and it's a nice clear COLD stream. of course 5 minutes after they leave i catch this

UserPostedImage

caught a dozen or so using a bwo as in indicator and a black midge trailing a foot behind

UserPostedImage

yesterday i drove down boheimian coulee all the way from highway 33. blown out. kept driving and found clear water and caught 10 or so on a size 18 tentwing caddis. didn't see any caddis out though. a few olives here and there. very sunny. i love how fish hit caddis. it's like they suspend beneath the fly longer and then explode on it like a torpedo. this guy did a 'free willy' in the air as he snatched the fly

UserPostedImage

this guy caught in the bright sun

UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#490 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:44:40 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Has anyone been out and about around Viroqua? I'm heading up there tomorrow and was just wondering what the local streams look like.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos