Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZP6  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:18:33 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Need some help. My wife surprised me with a solo fly fishing trip to Denver July 17-20th. Never fished out west before and would love to hear where people have gone, any good guides, and suggestions.
Sponsor
NE IA Drifter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 5:29:09 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm located in Denver right now and have been for about 5 yrs now. Happy to try to answer any questions. I've fished quite a few of the major rivers and several backcountry areas. You're timing should be pretty good. We don't have much snow at lower elevations right now and most of Colorado is below avg snowpack.

The further you get from denver the less people there will be. Compared to the driftless (at least iowa) Colorado is a nightmare with people. That said when you can dialed into the fish it can be really fun.

Cheers
thanks 1 user thanked NE IA Drifter for this useful post.
ZP6 on 4/18/2018(UTC)
OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 5:36:27 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Front Range Angler in Boulder - can fish Estes Park and the Big Thompson. Great shop, very good guides...
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
ZP6 on 4/18/2018(UTC)
Siggy1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:45:37 PM(UTC)
Siggy1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just got back from Colorado on Monday, most of the fishing we did was on the Arkansas river partially due to super windy conditions on the dream stream. Arkansas was awesome fish wise. Between me and 2 other guys we prolly caught 60+ a day between Salida and canon city, no monsters but a ton of 12-18” browns. The dream stream was pretty awesome even through the crazy winds we had on Thursday, couple fish around 20” but no pigs like the river is known to give up. We gave up after an hour on Friday with about 25 degree weather with steady 30. mph winds and gusts to 60 and moved to the Arkansas.
ZP6  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:22:49 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Originally Posted by: NE IA Drifter Go to Quoted Post
I'm located in Denver right now and have been for about 5 yrs now. Happy to try to answer any questions. I've fished quite a few of the major rivers and several backcountry areas. You're timing should be pretty good. We don't have much snow at lower elevations right now and most of Colorado is below avg snowpack.

The further you get from denver the less people there will be. Compared to the driftless (at least iowa) Colorado is a nightmare with people. That said when you can dialed into the fish it can be really fun.

Cheers

Thanks! Any backcountry areas that you would recommend? I'm basically open to drive any place. Also I'll be tossing steamers 90% of the time. I'm not much into nymphing...no patience. I'll be getting a guide for 1 day for sure but have to do a little research there as well.
ZP6  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:24:08 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Front Range Angler in Boulder - can fish Estes Park and the Big Thompson. Great shop, very good guides...

Thanks OTC_MN. I'll take a look at Front Range Angler!
AKinMN  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:00:39 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'd see if you can change Denver to Missoula or Bozeman.
NE IA Drifter  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:07:42 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would also suggest picking one region and focusing on the water there rather than the entire state. Then narrowing down the fly shop for the region and hiring for a day or two to get a few points and going out on your own from there...

The farther from Denver would be my strategy. Sw co, gunnison basin, Yampa, roaring fork are a few that come to mind. The south platte can be great (dream stream, cheeseman, deckers) but it is packed bc it's generally the closest river to Denver. North platte up in the north park area would be interesting and a place I've wanted to explore.
ZP6  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:29:58 AM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post

That’s the plan for next fall!

Edited by user Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:15:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:05:09 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post

why?