Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AKinMN  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 11:36:47 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post
I'd see if you can change Denver to Missoula or Bozeman.

why?

Much of the good water in CO is within a day trips reach of Denver and it gets crazy busy. MT is much less densely populated and rivers are more spread out, and the fishing is better. CO fishing is nothing to shake a stick at, but it ain't MT. Plus in CO has all the ski bum brahs that pick up fly rods in the summer. Far less bro-zos in MT (but they are there). And there's not town in CO like Craig, MT.
big_river_bum  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:09:55 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
I'd see if you can change Denver to Missoula or Bozeman.

why?

Much of the good water in CO is within a day trips reach of Denver and it gets crazy busy. MT is much less densely populated and rivers are more spread out, and the fishing is better. CO fishing is nothing to shake a stick at, but it ain't MT. Plus in CO has all the ski bum brahs that pick up fly rods in the summer. Far less bro-zos in MT (but they are there). And there's not town in CO like Craig, MT.

thanks. i've kind of heard things like that before. just wondering if there was some other specific reason for that time of year. i've never fished out west, but may be able to swing a trip next year. going to try and fish southern appalachia this spring

what percentage of fishable water in CO is tailwater? what percentage of fisherman are on them vs. other water at any given time? ballpark? sorry if this is a stupid or unanswerable question
AKinMN  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:18:07 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I can't really answer your CO, butyou'll be able to find out with a bit of research. If you're thinking of a western trip I'd focus on MT, and not just the Big Horn because it's a couple hours closer. Spend a little more driving time and head further west.
NE IA Drifter  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:52:30 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ch 2 of this article will help with your question on tailwaters

https://disappearingwest.../rivers.html#big_picture

While I agree with akinmn about co vs mt (I've never fished mt), I think you can still find plenty of water in Colorado that is going to make you happy. In my experience, unless you get up into the backcountry it's hard to find a ton of solitude but getting away from the high profile areas will help.

Colorado has a ton of great fishing. The Colorado, eagle, roaring fork, frying pan(green drake hatch should be on), and yampa would all be on my list.

One other consideration - mt has gotten a lot more snow this year than co and could be peak runnoff by then...
ZP6  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:16:38 PM(UTC)
ZP6

Man

I’ve narrowed it down to the Gunnison or Frying Pan as what river I’m going to get a guide. Both are about 4 hour drive or less. My plan will be to fish my way over and drive at night to maximize my time on the water. Thanks for all the comments and help, it’s been fun researching and planning.