Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
winonaflyfactory  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:03:57 PM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I know it seems like it's never going to happen but it will, likely right away next week if not in the coming days despite possible high and muddy water. So as much as I could I attempted to create a reference page similar to the BWO page I recently posted using information I've gathered from multiple sources over the years including my own observations and photos. Caddis hatches, especially the spring hatch in our area is difficult to define as we often see multiple different specie of caddis emerging often at the same time. If you have any additional information or corrections please let me know so I can consider adding/changing my information so that it can be the best reference possible for people in the future.

Also, since I know many of you or the majority spend time on Wisconsin water please let me know if you have a caddis specie that emerges during the spring that I just don't see much of being in Minnesota. I kind of doubt we have totally different hatches, maybe we call them different names but I don't know and I want this to be as complete a reference and as accurate as possible.

http://www.winonaflyfactory.com/spring-caddis/
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:28:34 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I guess the only options I look for is body color,size and wing color
FYI
Most years the black hatch has started on upper co on with 3-4 cars or trucks at every stile
Get Reel
winonaflyfactory  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 2:56:05 AM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post
FYI
Most years the black hatch has started on upper co on with 3-4 cars or trucks at every stile

What body color, size and wing is the “Black Caddis”? And what did you mean by the second statement? Started on upper co on with 3-4 cars at every stile?

Thanks for the feedback
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:09:45 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Black Caddis (in the spring) and Tan Caddis (summer) are the only two I've run into in SW Wisconsin. I've never fished for Trout in MN or IA, so I can't say what goes on there. I've heard mention of something call a Dog Caddis, but I'm not sure what that is either. The Black Caddis hatch around Vernon and Richland County can be real sporadic. One stream will have clouds of bugs popping off, but another just a few miles away won't have any.

I'll be out next week and will report on anything I see bug-wise.

What Trapper might be referring to is that you can tell when the Caddis hatch is on, because there will be a vehicle at every stream access point. The big Caddis hatch is the holy grail for dry fly fishermen. That and the Hex hatch.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 10:47:44 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The first larger(size 18/16) bug hatch is the caddis in my 3 state area.

Upper Coon/ hy G will be packed this weekend
Trapper will fish another county or state
Get Reel
AKinMN  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 11:38:43 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
FYI

What body color, size and wing is the “Black Caddis”? And what did you mean by the second statement? Started on upper co on with 3-4 cars at every stile?

Thanks for the feedback

It's the same bugs as what we call the gray caddis on the smart-side of the Mississippi 😀
JGF  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:43:07 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
FYI

Thanks for the feedback

It's the same bugs as what we call the gray caddis on the smart-side of the Mississippi 😀

Are these the same people that play duck-duck-grey duck? Flapper Grey duck - you mean Gadwall?