Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:31:28 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I get asked all the time why I don't keep Trout. I'm not against it, and I support anyone who wants to. But for me it's a simple matter of convenience.

I love eating Trout, but I live many hours away from the streams I fish. A typical day of fishing might last 4-6 hours with a six hour round trip drive time. Lugging around dead Trout all day just ins't feasible, especially in warm weather. For multiple day trips, this means keeping dead Trout in a cooler in my trunk for long periods. Also not very appealing.

I'm an apartment dweller and there really isn't a decent place to properly clean fish if I did bring them back.

So, I do all my harvesting at the seafood counter of my local grocery.

-Bill

Bill, you should be keeping trout. Bring a cooler with you and put some ice in it in the morning. Gut the fish on stream and bag them in a ziplock, if it's going to be a long day I try to wait to begin keeping fish and then I will occasionally cool the trout down by rinsing them in creek water. It's super simple and quick and enjoy the resource you love so much. Way better than the fish at the store.

As for the rest, I don't have much knowledge of the politics surrounding WI regulations but this seems to be a sensitive topic which brings out the passionate.

Pretty sure the bolded is illegal.

I haven't trout fished during the harvest season much the last few years and generally don't keep fish have considered taking some form of bag and an instant ice pack with me in case I have one swallow a hopper or something.
shebs  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:43:29 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
It's only illegal if you remove the heads (head/tail intact for measurements and scales for species ID) or dump the entrails. Don't do that. Carry a plastic bag if you wanna gut them asap.

I usually put them on a stringer and tie it to my belt so they stay alive/cool until I'm done fishing (add that to the list of reasons to always wade!).

There's always a cooler full of ice in my trunk...to keep the beer cold. And fish, if necessary.

Keep a limit of browns from brookie streams.
Don't kill anything over 14 unless it's gonna die anyway.
Don't feel bad harvesting brookies from overpopulated streams.
Enjoy the resource.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
madguy30  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:01:21 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
It's only illegal if you remove the heads (head/tail intact for measurements and scales for species ID) or dump the entrails. Don't do that. Carry a plastic bag if you wanna gut them asap.

I usually put them on a stringer and tie it to my belt so they stay alive/cool until I'm done fishing (add that to the list of reasons to always wade!).

There's always a cooler full of ice in my trunk...to keep the beer cold. And fish, if necessary.

Enjoy the resource.

1. Does anyone know if that law is the same in Wisconsin? I thought it was illegal either way. Might be good to know though if I get in a snafu and decide to keep a fish here and there.

2. Does the stringer keep them alive enough to be let go in case you only catch one 8 inch fish and no other keepers? I'd think it would stress them out.
FWIW I think if I were to decide to keep a fish it'd have to be at least 12 inches so it's enough on its own.
Guillermo  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:17:24 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)

Enjoy the resource.

Exactly.
shebs  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:42:43 AM(UTC)
shebs

Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post

Enjoy the resource.

1. Does anyone know if that law is the same in Wisconsin? I thought it was illegal either way. Might be good to know though if I get in a snafu and decide to keep a fish here and there.

2. Does the stringer keep them alive enough to be let go in case you only catch one 8 inch fish and no other keepers? I'd think it would stress them out.
FWIW I think if I were to decide to keep a fish it'd have to be at least 12 inches so it's enough on its own.

1. As far as I know 'field dressing' is legal as long as you keep the heads on for measuring if necessary and don't litter the entrails.

2. That would be sorting/culling and is most certainly not legal.
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Greylin  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:16:17 AM(UTC)
Greylin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone know the reasoning behind why you're not supposed to throw the guts on the bank or back into the stream? It's never made much sense to me.
I live in a van down by the river.
shebs  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:39:51 AM(UTC)
shebs

I think it's mostly for your 'urban' and/or high pressure fisheries. Shit could get nasty if everyone left their salmon guts on the banks in milwaukee.
Gurth  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:36:22 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
As soon as they genetically engineer Browns to taste like walleye, I'm all in!

Heck, even if they tasted like catfish.

A buddy I sometimes go with always wants me to keep my limit for him and I'm always like no way am I dragging fish around all day with me for you. You want em? You drag em around.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 5:04:05 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
As soon as they genetically engineer Browns to taste like walleye, I'm all in!

Heck, even if they tasted like catfish.

A buddy I sometimes go with always wants me to keep my limit for him and I'm always like no way am I dragging fish around all day with me for you. You want em? You drag em around.

Brine and beer batter them, it’s what I do with stocker Rainbows. Gets rid of the liver taste in those pretty nicely.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:31:34 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I do harvest browns and brookies from select streams. They are both delicious. Just like a deer, field dressing and handling affects the taste in the end. I do not gut on the stream. I put fish in a panfish basket hooked to my vest. They are alive and kicking when I leave the stream unless mortally hooked. I use ice as well if I have a fair or longer distance to travel home. If your brown tastes liver like or mineral like you may have forgotten to remove the blood line before cooking a whole fish, or you leave the fins and gills while cooking yuck! Also larger fish from marginal water can be funky. The fish also tend to taste like their diet. Cow pastures and slime water can have fish that smell and taste like dung. Inland trout is consistently rated the best wild fish to consume due to clean waters and relatively short life span. Happy Fishing! Ron