Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
winonaflyfactory  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:35:42 PM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I called the CO for my area and he confirmed what I knew to be true. The regulations simply state that the fish including head and take must be intact for inspection. The fish cannot be filleted. It can be field dressed.
Gurth  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:48:59 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 132 post(s)
We don't care for salmon at the Gurth house either. It's a salmonid thing and we've tried it prepared many ways.

Trust me... I lament it all the time coz I could dine on fresh fish any day (of the season) that I wanted to.

Gotta figure out the warm water situation around here (for fresh fish) - something I've neglected but plan on changing this year.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:03:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
JGF  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:09:26 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
One day I kept a limit of 3 browns from 12-15 inches that were caught in a crystal clear northern spring pond. Had a 2 footer halfway in the net that popped out shortly before I landed the final fish that I harvested, but that's a story for another time. Anyway, I just so happened to have had bought some fresh salmon the day before and made them side by side on the grill with lemon and butter. Believe me when I say there was no discernible difference whatsoever between the browns and the salmon. I think it mostly just depends on what kind of water you catch them out of. I've had browns that were gross but they were ones that I caught out of water that was questionable in quality at best. I don't fish the Driftless that often so maybe my opinion is skewed. Most of the browns I keep are wild ones from up north.

I'd bet a lot of people's opinions about taste of brown vs. brook trout comes from either opinions formed when browns were more heavily stocked or from "folklore". Wild vs. recently released hatchery are different. Wild brooks vs. wild browns, particular from the same area, I think would be a random guess as to which is which.

I like the guidelines in the blog post. I've been keeping fish more often as I'm close to a number of overpopulated streams. I only do it when I'm prepared with a cooler full of ice. I wish more people would harvest fish around here, quite honestly. I also wish they'd harvest them intelligently. Put back the 13'+ fish, keep the 8-12" fish as they're much more "expendable".

Guillermo  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:17:11 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JGF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
One day I kept a limit of 3 browns from 12-15 inches that were caught in a crystal clear northern spring pond. Had a 2 footer halfway in the net that popped out shortly before I landed the final fish that I harvested, but that's a story for another time. Anyway, I just so happened to have had bought some fresh salmon the day before and made them side by side on the grill with lemon and butter. Believe me when I say there was no discernible difference whatsoever between the browns and the salmon. I think it mostly just depends on what kind of water you catch them out of. I've had browns that were gross but they were ones that I caught out of water that was questionable in quality at best. I don't fish the Driftless that often so maybe my opinion is skewed. Most of the browns I keep are wild ones from up north.

I'd bet a lot of people's opinions about taste of brown vs. brook trout comes from either opinions formed when browns were more heavily stocked or from "folklore". Wild vs. recently released hatchery are different. Wild brooks vs. wild browns, particular from the same area, I think would be a random guess as to which is which.

I like the guidelines in the blog post. I've been keeping fish more often as I'm close to a number of overpopulated streams. I only do it when I'm prepared with a cooler full of ice. I wish more people would harvest fish around here, quite honestly. I also wish they'd harvest them intelligently. Put back the 13'+ fish, keep the 8-12" fish as they're much more "expendable".

I think your 100% correct. Every planted brown I've tried to eat has been nothing short of disgusting. That's even the ones that have been in the stream for 3 or 4 months. Now a 2nd year fish tends to be a little more palatable.
AKinMN  
#25 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 1:36:41 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
I called the CO for my area and he confirmed what I knew to be true. The regulations simply state that the fish including head and take must be intact for inspection. The fish cannot be filleted. It can be field dressed.

Still gotta keep the guts though.
winonaflyfactory  
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:25:32 AM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post

No you don't. The CO for Winona County in MN specifically said that I was good to dispose of the guts in "a manner that wouldn't offend other anglers or the property owner." The CO is Tom Hemker.

Pete  
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:29:11 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post

No you don't. The CO for Winona County in MN specifically said that I was good to dispose of the guts in "a manner that wouldn't offend other anglers or the property owner." The CO is Tom Hemker.

I've disposed of more than a few sets of entrails streamside. But it's on relatively remote streams where I might have been the only angler that week or month. As was said earlier in the thread, you wouldn't want everyone gutting their salmon on the Milwaukee or Root and leaving them where the golfers or cyclists would encounter them.

I'm pretty certain the brook and brown trout entrails I've left behind were found and eaten by mink or raccoons within an hour of sunset or so.
3fe  
#28 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 12:04:53 AM(UTC)
3fe

I had a DNR fish biologistics tell me once, "They should give out a wildlife management degree with every license sold." After reading these posts, now I understand what he meant.
As for the regs being too complicated, get a 10 year old to explain them to you.
shebs  
#29 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 12:14:44 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
LOL

So true.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Guillermo  
#30 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 12:39:32 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 3fe Go to Quoted Post
I had a DNR fish biologistics tell me once, "They should give out a wildlife management degree with every license sold." After reading these posts, now I understand what he meant.
As for the regs being too complicated, get a 10 year old to explain them to you.

I don't think I purported to have a degree in wildlife management or credentials as a biologist.

As for the regulations, I'm not saying they're so complicated as to be not understandable. In fact they're perfectly understandable provided you can read. The point I'm making is the changes in the area I talked about earlier did nothing to simplify anything, which I thought was the reason for the changes anyway. Apparently not... Could have done without your condescension regarding the reading the regulations.

I have respect for those who have degrees in wildlife management and biologists who work tirelessly to take care of our waters and wildlife.

That doesn't discount all the hours I've spent on the stream and the experience I've gained by trout fishing since I could walk.

For example, when we were assured that the 15 day WI inland trout season extension wouldn't interfere with northern brook trout spawning, as they don't spawn until mid to late October. I and others immediately disproved that. For 5 years in a row I have observed and documented brook trout in full spawning mode between September 28th and October 15th on upwards of 50 different waters throughout 5 different counties.

Kinda renders those assurances invalid, doesn't it?

I spend more days on the water than many and nearly as many as a lot of experts. In fact, the variety of waters I visit is greater. That I know for a fact.

So again, I respect the hell out of them and what they do. Doesn't change the fact that sometimes regular citizens can be and are just as knowledgeable about trout and the places they live.
thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 4/27/2018(UTC)