Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2018 3:41:52 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
My four day fishing trip last week turned out to be a bit more expensive than I had planned. First my sunglasses broke. Then my dry fly floatant and holder fell off my vest. And then I managed to break the tip of my fly rod.

Last night I investigated what I though might be some sand or other grit in my trusty Ross reel making a crunchy sound, only to discovered that the innards have fallen apart.

So, it's time for a new reel. I was thinking about this Cheeky 300

UserPostedImage

Anyone have any other recommendations for a good 3W/4W reel in the $75-$150 range?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
OTC_MN  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2018 5:15:59 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Man - trail of destruction on that trip... Sad

Personally, I've turned into a Lamson fanboy lately.

Lamson Liquids are right in that range, and I really like the ones I have been using. I bought a Remix to put on my Scott 4w and really like that too - but honestly I don't think there's a lot to choose between the Remix and Liquid (the spools are interchangeable even) and the Liquid is $50 less... If I had to do it over I might just get the Liquid rather than the Remix.

I've never fished with it, but a friend of mine loves his Echo Ion, and they're like $80.

I have fished with a Redington zero and was kind of underwhelmed. Can't put my finger on why though.

Orvis Battenkills are pretty nice too. I have an old one that's still chugging along. A click pawl Battenkill II is around a hundo I think.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 1:11:47 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I want to check out a Cabela's WLX II. Lamson guts with a less aesthetically-pleasing spool.
trapper  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:20:20 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Echo 2/4 Ion
$80 @ ur friendly Driftless Angler fly shop
Use only enough backing to keep the reel somewhat full- like 7/8the full
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 5/1/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:00:36 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post
Echo 2/4 Ion
$80 @ ur friendly Driftless Angler fly shop
Use only enough backing to keep the reel somewhat full- like 7/8the full

Yeah, I'm thinking about that one. Bought my last Echo rod from Mat, might as well get a reel from him too.

I like small 3" reels and I learned a neat trick to get just the right amount of backing. You wind the fly line onto the reel first, and then the backing. Then cut the backing to length when you get just the right amount so you don't overload the reel. Next unwind the backing fly line out of the reel. Then install the backing and fly line as usual.

Edit: and of course there's a video for this:

I try to look for fly line in 75 yard lengths for my 3" reels. Longer lengths overload the small reel and leave no room for backing, and I never need more than that anyway to fish the small streams I prefer.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, May 1, 2018 4:46:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added video

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Guillermo  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:51:14 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I usually just do it by feel. Arbor knot, guestimate, nail knot, wind on the line and done. 9 times out of 10 it works without having to redo anything.
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 3:16:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I ended up going with the Echo Ion reel in the 2/3 size.

UserPostedImage

A simple, solidly built and light little reel. Didn't break the bank either at only $80. Those $400 machined pieces of art are really nice, but are massive overkill for the type and style of fishing I do. The disc drag knob has finer settings than my old Ross reel and the spool moves smoothly. However the click sound when playing out line is a little louder than I like, but not as obnoxious as a click and pawl reel.

I was going to pick up some new fly line also, but I've learned that springtime is the worst time to buy either reels or fly line. I had to search around a bit to find the reel in stock and nobody had the fly line I wanted. But I have some old Cortland 333 that I had in my bag for a backup for a couple years now that will suffice. As soon as my repaired rod is returned from Echo, I'll mate them up and see how this setup casts.

-Bill
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
stan b on 5/6/2018(UTC)