Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:23:04 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Who's excited about it?

The weather's been so weird that I'm not even sure if fish will be around next week, but I'm looking forward to having some options outside of the trout streams. I enjoy the trout season, but it's all I've done for the past 5 months so it'd be good to find some fun smallmouth water and such, and also looking forward to wet wading.

My goal this year is to get up to the Wisconsin River and paddle a stretch during the 'crash'. I've also just yet to paddle a long stretch so I think that'd be fun in general.
Sponsor
EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:57:52 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
What is "the crash" as far as the Wisconsin river goes? I know it's Wisconsin and all but this has to be something other than a reference to meth. I'm genuinely curious. ThumpUp

Edited by user Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:02:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:13:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I might go that route this weekend.

Doubt I'll have the will power to stay off the streams, but we'll see.

Could really go for a smallie or a northern...
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:07:32 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post
What is "the crash" as far as the Wisconsin river goes? I know it's Wisconsin and all but this has to be something other than a reference to meth. I'm genuinely curious. ThumpUp

Basically, it's smallies chasing minnows...I think it's usually early summer but I've seen it lots of other times and it's odd that I never hear of it on other rivers since it's typical smallie behavior.

thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
Pete on 5/2/2018(UTC)
draik11  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:59:23 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I've lived in WI my whole life and never heard of the crash, but now I want to go witness it for myself after seeing that video! My dad and I recently purchased a lake cabin in Tomahawk and we still have about 20 inches of ice left on the lake! so, no warm water fishing for me for a couple of weeks. I'm bummed I'll miss the opener.
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:27:59 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: draik11 Go to Quoted Post
I've lived in WI my whole life and never heard of the crash, but now I want to go witness it for myself after seeing that video! My dad and I recently purchased a lake cabin in Tomahawk and we still have about 20 inches of ice left on the lake! so, no warm water fishing for me for a couple of weeks. I'm bummed I'll miss the opener.

If you're up that way just fish the WI river. I'd throw something shiny out and see if any northern or smallie were around.
Pete  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:34:34 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EddieRivard Go to Quoted Post

Basically, it's smallies chasing minnows...I think it's usually early summer but I've seen it lots of other times and it's odd that I never hear of it on other rivers since it's typical smallie behavior.

I think Paul Smith had a column in the J-S a couple of years ago about fishing the crash just downstream of the Dells. But that video makes the point that I need to spend some more time on the Wisconsin River this Summer. It's the smallmouth equivalent of the hexagenia hatch-not to be missed.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:46:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I recall seeing it a few times when I was a kid fishing the sloughs and riverbanks near Gotham and Lone Rock. The bass and whitefish would herd the schools of minnows into shallow water and the feast would be on. You could probably catch something with just a bare shiny hook tossed into that maelstrom. All that activity would also usually attract a larger predator or two lurking just out into the deeper water. A big Pike that would coming swooping in and snatch a fat bass. You could usually tell where this all was happening by a swarm of seagulls circling overhead.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:49:08 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I think the Wisco down here will be a no go for a bit. Was up 4-6 feet when I went through Sauk on Tuesday and will only be higher after the next 48 hours.

I'd love to see the Crash myself.

Never heard of it although I don't fish the Wisconsin (much).

Yet.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:21:09 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I think the Wisco down here will be a no go for a bit. Was up 4-6 feet when I went through Sauk on Tuesday and will only be higher after the next 48 hours.

I'd love to see the Crash myself.

Never heard of it although I don't fish the Wisconsin (much).

Yet.

Definitely a no-go for paddling. I'd think there's spots that you may be able to cast from shore into some pools as the water warms up.