Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vilas15  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 8:59:39 PM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

New user here. I've been following the forum for a while but have a question worth asking. Are single hook spinners better than a treble? I'd need to order them directly from Mepps/etc. since Cabelas doesnt seem to carry them. I'd think they would be more snag resistant and maybe have a better hook-up percentage since they'd be easier to fit in a trout's mouth. Also they would work much better for catch & release. Am I correct in thinking this or do they not perform as well?

Has anyone ever trimmed a hook or two from a treble to get the benefits of a single hook? Thanks.
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 9:33:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
The streamers that I use on spinners are single hook and they seem to work just fine. Funny thing is that they get snagged bad more often than normal trebles and I lose them too often.

Also - I've clipped single hooks (with wire cutters) from a treble when a trout is hooked in a bad spot and the remaining dual hook functioned fine.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 9:34:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Also - you have to introduce yourself in the New Member thread...
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 10:02:27 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I make my own spinners nowadays, and fishing steelhead in MN is single hook only...They work fine, but they seem to wobble a bit. Seems like the treble acts as a rudder/stabilizer.
I find making a spinner with a smaller size treble than what would come stock really helps avoid snags - a big blade with a size 10 or so treble bounces off logs rather than hooking them.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Hoggies  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:04:11 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
You could try clipping the treble hook off and using a duo-lock snap or split ring to attach a single hook.

I saw an in-fisherman article about some steelheaders in Michigan who were tying hair jigs and clipping the hook off at the bottom of the shank and tying on a short piece of 80lb fireline with a snap on it, then attaching a cheap wire octopus hook to the snap. That way if they snagged, they could straighten the hook and swap it out for a new one instead of losing the whole lure.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 2:31:41 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vilas15 Go to Quoted Post
New user here. I've been following the forum for a while but have a question worth asking. Are single hook spinners better than a treble? I'd need to order them directly from Mepps/etc. since Cabelas doesnt seem to carry them. I'd think they would be more snag resistant and maybe have a better hook-up percentage since they'd be easier to fit in a trout's mouth. Also they would work much better for catch & release. Am I correct in thinking this or do they not perform as well?

Has anyone ever trimmed a hook or two from a treble to get the benefits of a single hook? Thanks.

I don’t recommend trimming hooks from a treble. If you want a single hook, buy some higher quality single hooks with a larger gap, and attach them with a split ring. One small treble point isn’t a great idea and fish can easily twist off.
As for safety to the fish, it depends a lot on the size of the spinner. With small spinners, you’re going to get a lot of inhales regardless, so a single hook isn’t a bad idea. With bigger spinners like a #9 or #15 Panther Martin, I’ve found that my hook up/land ratio is lower, and I deep hook more fish with single hooks, so I only use them when regulations demand so.
That said, if I’m running a Rapala with 3 or more treble hooks, I’ll always take at least one treble off unless I’m Salmon fishing. With Trout, at least one of 3 things willhappen with 3 trebles.
1. The Trout rolls and impales its gills, eyes, or other vital area with an additional hook.
2. If it’s a larger fish that must be netted, it will roll and make an absolutely unholy tangle in your net, ruining it and lowering its own survival chances (see rule 1).
3. Whether or not the fish is in the net, you’re just asking to impale yourself trying to release a thrashing fish with 3 trebles around its mouth. Speaking from painful experience here.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Vilas15  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 5:16:36 AM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

Sounds like I'll stick with trebles and maybe upsize. Have been using 0/1 mepps but will try #2 mepps. I'll just have to deal with the snags. Maybe I'll get a couple single hook versions or fasten them myself just to try but it doesn't sound like they're as good as I thought they'd be.
rschmidt  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:46:03 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Go way up, I have been using 3/8 and 1/2oz models the last month. Fish 3" to 25.88888" have been crushing the larger spinners. I use the small ones in very cold January type conditions. To each their own. R
Hoggies  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 3:11:35 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
https://www.panthermarti...shseeuv-salmon-steelhead

These come with both if your taste runs big, bright, and nasty.

Luhr-Jensen sends out Krocodile spoons with single and treble hooks as well.
shebs  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 9:09:14 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Blue fox also includes a single hook with most vibrax lures size 3 and up, but there's no split ring on them so you have to clip the treble off (a bitch with a basic wire cutters, as those hook eyes are beefy) and then crimp the open eye on the single.
Their lures tend to ride a bit higher on the water was well, so if your reason for smaller spinners is to avoid snagging the bottom, those might be a decent compromise.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"