Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

43 Pages«<414243
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#421 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:45:43 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Welcome, Jim! Enjoy this web site. I like that it is a fishing site, not a FLY fishing site. I fly fish myself, but love to read about the guys using spinners too.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Hegawn  
#422 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 4:10:09 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

A little background info: aka Paul, grew up not far from the Fox R. in the far western Chicago suburb town of N.Aurora and cut my teeth fishing carp and 'Fox River salmon' (aka the sucker). Thankfully the river has been cleansed and it is now a nice Smallmouth fishery. Illinois fishing has been a great experience that really helps one appreciate the Driftless fishery. Catching things like a rug (a stream near Danville I have since forgot the name) helps one's perspective. I even threw it back. You learn things like only to eat one meal/lifetime from the Fox.

I remember reading about the Timber Coulee in the Chicago Tribune as a kid growing up and could only hope to fish the area. Living and fishing Grant Co. WI streams (just about all of it) the past 10 years is a fishing hope realized. Catching 23" rainbows, 20" browns and 15" brookies is an experience I wish everyone could have.

I once tied a pheasant tail nymph trailer 2-3" from my panther martin so I don't know if I'm a fly or spinner guy. But I usually chuck spinners with a 1" black twister tail. Sidenote: did not tie that PT on properly (just started using power pro) and lost the PT on the very first cast by a vicious hit. I have to try this again.

This has been a fun site to read with a minimal amount of political bs. I hope to be able to add to it. In fact, I plan to post some stuff on how to conquer barbwire, what happens to a a failed beer handoff midstream and other very important stream tidbits.

"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
weiliwen  
#423 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:02:44 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Either a PM or a PT, or both, good to have you on the site!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
QCTony  
#424 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:07:21 PM(UTC)
QCTony

Howdy! Iowa native. Live in Davenport. I love trout fishing. Some favorite spots are Paint, Little Paint, Little Bear, Waterloo, Big Mill, and Little Mill. I wade the streams with my wife. Nothing fancy. Ultra Lights with spinners or jigs. #3 5 foot 6 inch fiberglass fly rods. When the water is cloudy. I break out the worms and slip bobbers. I rarely use waders. The wife and I prefer shorts and wading shoes. I do use a fishing vest. LOL The wife uses a fanny pack. All the fancy and expensive gear in the world is useless if you don't have stream smarts. We are Iowa Hillbilly trout fishermen compared to the trout fishing snobs. But we always limit out. Well almost always. LOL
NBrevitz  
#425 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:18:51 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: QCTony Go to Quoted Post
Howdy! Iowa native. Live in Davenport. I love trout fishing. Some favorite spots are Paint, Little Paint, Little Bear, Waterloo, Big Mill, and Little Mill. I wade the streams with my wife. Nothing fancy. Ultra Lights with spinners or jigs. #3 5 foot 6 inch fiberglass fly rods. When the water is cloudy. I break out the worms and slip bobbers. I rarely use waders. The wife and I prefer shorts and wading shoes. I do use a fishing vest. LOL The wife uses a fanny pack. All the fancy and expensive gear in the world is useless if you don't have stream smarts. We are Iowa Hillbilly trout fishermen compared to the trout fishing snobs. But we always limit out. Well almost always. LOL

Welcome to the board! I always do shorts and sandles myself, the water has a really nice cooling effect in the summer months.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Buckman  
#426 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 4:03:33 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Hey guys, my name is Lance and I am new to this area and forum.

I recently have moved to Northern Illinois from the Lansing, MI area and am just now starting to crack into learning about the Driftless Area.

I've been fortunate to live near trout waters throughout my life having grown up in PA., and actually I am meeting some friends for a fishing trip in a few weeks here to fish Spring Creek as well as Penn's in Central PA.

I mainly use either a 8' 3/4 weight fly rod or a 5'8" ultralight 2 piece spin rod and pack both with me wherever I go. I tend to use buggers, streamers and terrestrials over dries, but that is mainly a lack of skill. I'm not above chucking a worm or salmon egg and jig if its all tackle and I haven't caught anything, I'll toss pretty much anything I have in my arsenal to lure a trout to come play.

I am really looking forward to scouting around. We moved here as a compromise between work locations in west Chicago suburbs and the trout fishing in the DA, so this area puts me 90 minutes to 2 hrs from Dane County where it looks like my first streams to check out will be Mt. Vernon as well as Black Earth Creek.

I've enjoyed browsing through the site so far and hope to gain some knowledge on fishing the DA in the future.

Thanks for letting me on board!
Vilas15  
#427 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 5:22:55 AM(UTC)
Vilas15

United States

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this forum on and off for a year or two. I'm from Madison and just got into trout fishing last year and have only been out a couple times. Musky, walleye, bass, pike all take up much more of my time and I really only fish spinners in the spring for trout before the banks are overgrown. Haven't made the investment in waders and all the other gear because I'm too busy buying other gear for the fishing I do more often. I'll be around every once in a while!
William Schlafer  
#428 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 3:57:45 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Welcome!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos