Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

54 Pages«<5051525354>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#511 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:49:29 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I was afraid of that when I saw the rain totals from the storm.

-Bill

i don't want to be TOO reactionary so to be fair, these are probably the most susceptible streams in the county for runoff/flooding. just sucks when all the pics i posted were of places that were recently really good fishing spots

weiliwen-thanks for the trip report. glad it was successful in more ways than one

i wish i was able to explore like i used to. a fish caught on a marginal/unknown/technical stream that takes effort and determination is worth ten caught in our usual haunts
Gurth  
#512 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:40:23 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Here's the other side of the coin...

UserPostedImage

This stream has been low all year to the point that it's been unfishable. It's normally a nice little brown:brookie stream 3:1 that even holds a tiger or two.

This was taken Sunday morning and those rocks are normally 3-6 inches under the water. All of the other area streams that I've seen since the rain have been either running high or running really nice.

This one looks like a drought.

I emailed the fish biologist in charge of this area and he says he's unaware of any unusual water levels so I sent him that photo. I'll see if he replies.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#513 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:17:34 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Here's the other side of the coin...

UserPostedImage

This stream has been low all year to the point that it's been unfishable. It's normally a nice little brown:brookie stream 3:1 that even holds a tiger or two.

This was taken Sunday morning and those rocks are normally 3-6 inches under the water. All of the other area streams that I've seen since the rain have been either running high or running really nice.

This one looks like a drought.

I emailed the fish biologist in charge of this area and he says he's unaware of any unusual water levels so I sent him that photo. I'll see if he replies.

Aquifers are a cool but complex thing. The past 2 years, we’ve had ample amounts of precipitation. A (relatively) dry period of 3-4 weeks isn’t going to send a spring fed stream into trouble. I’d look at water usage in the area. High capacity wells can draw a lot of water that was bound to end up in that creek.

There’s a big lake in the Minnesota Metro called White Bear Lake. It’s almost entirely spring fed, there’s no major inlet or outlet. The lake has gone down 4-5 feet in the last 20 years, and it hasn’t gone back up appreciably in the past 2 years,even with a well charged aquifer. If you look at the number of homes with wells on and around the lake, it’s no wonder the lake has dropped. Bald Eagle, Big Carnelian, Chisago, Big Marine, and just about all other big seepage lakes in our area have been high if anything the past few years. They all draw from the same aquifer. As you’d guess, they aren’t nearly as developed. Bald Eagle is only 4-5 miles from WBL and their levels are night and day!

A couple years ago, when northern Wisconsin got ample rain all summer, the Brule’s base flows ran higher than normal for months on end, even during relative dry periods. Again, full aquifer. If I had to guess, I’d say there’s a groundwater issue with your stream and it’s not due to drought, but who knows...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#514 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:46:44 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was because of a drought - just that it looked like drought conditions. We're nowhere near a drought obviously.

Streams within a mile or three of this one are running at expected levels.

I did pose the well possibility to the DNR guy and he said there's only one that could have an effect on this stream and records show that it hasn't been tapped in a couple of years.

Probably a ground flow issue. I don't believe there could be a beaver dam that would do this as this is a pretty short run before it joins a larger stream and I don't know where the dam could be.
s.t.fanatic  
#515 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 11:52:59 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A beaver dam only holds back water the flow remains the same. Even if it were diverted upstream it isn't likely that the water wouldn't make its way back to the stream. Like mentioned earlier aquifers are a strange thing. After the 2007 floods there were new springs that popped up everywhere and also springs that stopped entirely.
William Schlafer  
#516 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:02:28 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Weister Creek in Vernon County has flooded hard the last couple years. There's been lots of work done on parts of it to minimize the damage from these events by reinforcing the stream banks and giving the water a place to go where it won't erode as badly as in the past.

A section I like to fish showed the power of those flood waters as tons of gravel and rock were washed out of the creek and piled up along the banks, up to 3 feet in places. It's amazing the quantity of rock washed out. These photos were taken last summer. The big gravel rock piles were still there when I visited a few weeks ago. Mother Nature loves rearranging things.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

This part of the stream remains in great shape however and the Trout population is strong. In other parts of the creek there is lots of erosion and collapsing banks that have been eaten away by the fast water.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#517 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:30:34 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Everything yesterday that I looked at or tried was blown out - even skinny and headwaters. Not surprising considering the piss-pounding we got Sunday night and the previous 72 hours.

I wouldn't have even tried but I'll be a single parent for the next week or so and won't be able to get out and had the opportunity last night.

Should have taken the yak to a lake or pond instead.

Still glad we've gotten this rain and conditions should be optimal later this week and through the weekend.

William Schlafer  
#518 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:25:39 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Some of the best days I've ever had were right after big rain events. Seems like the Trout come out with the feedbag on after the high water recedes. Although I'm betting there will soon be a wave of mosquitoes to deal with after all this rain.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#519 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:08:36 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

streams were perfectly stained yesterday. headed out in the midday rain. fish were not super active. lots of half hearted strikes and no risers even though there were craneflies and some sulphurs(i think) out.

i had three black buggers to lose before fishing the rejects i've accumulated in my pack. after a few hours i had to tie on a neon pink and green clouser minnow. surprisingly caught fish with it right away. two holes from the car i get a good fish on. he's doing what he wants and i'm just holding on. i haven't fished much lately and when i do i'm almost always using dries so i haven't had many big fish this year. in my head i'm like "oh he's 20! easy" quick pic and measure on my rod and off he goes. i measure where he went to on my rod......just over 17 lol. good fish, but no trophy. although he's a survivor. i'd guess this section of stream is one of the most heavily harvested spots in vernon county. locals actually fish it. Amish fish it and its a destination spot for fly fishermen

UserPostedImage

i headed up stream to see if anything would be rising since the rain tapered off. no luck, but i did find about 40 morels under a single tree. kind of toasted, but they'll cook up. as i headed back to the stream i heard this animal about 100 yards to my east. sounded just like a whining baby. waaaaaaah......waaaaaaah....waaaaaaah for a few minutes. i was just in the smoky mountains and had 2 encounters with cub black bears and the night before i was watching cougar encounter videos so........i kind of spooked myself lol

UserPostedImage

went up stream and caught a couple for dinner and the crying started up again. i walk back to the car with my jack knife in my hand lol whimp. i searched online and closest sound i could match it to was a bobcat. could've just been some farm/feral cats getting busy too though
big_river_bum  
#520 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:13:40 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

i also looked up catbird calls and it didn't match

also, i saw more deer running around in daylight than i've seen in a long time. and i hit an owl!

i was coming to a yield sign on a county highway so i'm braking and looking left and right. all of a sudden a huge owl is flying right in front of me. i hit the brakes harder and he bounces off the hood of my car gently and continues on his way, apparently unharmed