Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

54 Pages«<525354
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#531 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2018 6:55:23 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Wasn't gonna fish today. Yesterday was such an arse pain with the full sun and gnats that I just wasn't in the mood.

Was putzing around the house from 6 to 8 and enjoying my coffee on the deck.

Noticed that the overcast skies weren't burning off though and that there was a steady breeze.

Went to the big river near my house and it was really silty - maybe 5 inch viz but a good sized brown missed at the surface at the bridge that I was checking and that talked me into staying.

Only saw one more brown in the next 1.5 hours but did catch my new PB Driftless Trophy sucker.

Went to a small trib of a well known local stream and had a ball from 10:30-12:30. Cloud cover and breeze remained and enjoyed about a dozen browns including an 18 and a couple of 16s and 3 brookies.

At least that many more darted out from cover and missed.

Nice steady action. Glad I went out.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
jfinn  
#532 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:06:51 PM(UTC)
jfinn

How are the streams looking for tomorrow? Not sure how much rain fell out in SW Wisconsin.
cschub13  
#533 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:59:39 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Hoping to get out Saturday, would like to know as well! Cheers
William Schlafer  
#534 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 12:36:05 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Most days The Driftless Angler Fly shop posts a report on stream conditions in the Viroqua area.

You can also view USGS automated water data (water level, temperature, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, etc...) collected for various rivers around the DA. This will at least give you a idea of the condition of those streams.

You can also get an idea of how much rain an area has received by checking out rainfall maps like this one. The NWS has rainfall totals and precipitation analysis maps on their regional websites.

But because of the localized nature to thunderstorms and rainfall in the summertime, one stream can be blown out, while another a couple valleys over can be in great shape. Usually if you drive around long enough, you will find a creek in fishable shape.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, June 1, 2018 12:46:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added additional link

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#535 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 3:45:47 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Got out today and fished a stream in Iowa county, and another about 30 minutes away in Sauk county.

I was surprised to find the Iowa county stream a bit muddy but fishable. Conditions otherwise was about as good as it gets: solid overcast most of the day, light winds and nice air temps in the upper 60s low 70s. The bite was fairly strong throughout the morning with just a bit of a slow down around mid-day. Terrestrials were working well, but I also caught Trout on bead head streamers, Elk Hair Caddis and BWO patterns.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The Sauk County stream was running much clearer and the fish there were also feeding freely. A little rain late in the afternoon didn't slow things down much, and the shower only lasted about 20 minutes. Although I see this evening on radar some bigger storms are pushing through SW Wisconsin - so conditions might be a bit rougher tomorrow.

Biggest issue all day was the stream bank weeds. Hip to chest high already in places. The tall grass helps shield your approach, but makes it really difficult to keep your fly out of the grass and get it down into the water. More than a few times I had make blind casts and listen for the splash of the strike.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The weeds also make walking the bank tricky, as you can't see whats under that next step. Managed not to fall into the creek, but I did have a couple of missteps. There was just enough wind to keep the bulk of the mosquitoes and gnats at bay, although they came out in force once the wind died.

A strong bite all day put about 40 Trout in the net. Had about that many misses and brief hookups that got off. Not sure why that was happening, but I caught enough quality fish to make it a non factor. Probably my last trip for awhile due to work, travel and other summer activities.

UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, June 3, 2018 3:47:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added photo

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 6/3/2018(UTC)